Succession Game!

This topic contains 39 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by kdrnic kdrnic 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • wan
    wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

Your post prompted me to do some research on churches 😀

“One of the things you’ll notice is that as your residential zones develop, 2×2 churches will be periodically constructed in your zoned land. However, churches aren’t considered residential buildings, and do not contribute to the residential population. If they bother you and you start trying to demolish them, you’ll notice that new churches pop up elsewhere. Bottom line: Churches are here to stay, so live with it.”

(source)

rnlf
    rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Okay, I’m gonna take over until 1935!

rnlf
    rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

First thing I noticed in 1930 was that Dossington barely had any Fire Departments. We all had our experiences with fires devastating a whole city, so I built two new fire stations in strategic locations. Both are in areas that had no protection at all, but also still have quite a bit of unused land around them, so that they will protect new zones, too.

The first one was placed in Hillview, the second one on a hill overlooking Stinky Place Industrial Park.

In the same year, I realized that several zones weren’t connected to the Urban Water Distribution Network (UH2ODN), so I naturally fixed that.

In 1932, I renamed the City College to Dossington Engineering School, which in turn prompted the principal of Micropolis Highschool to rename his school to Mayor Rnlf Highschool, a great honor for me.

In 1934, a new road connecting Dossington to Hoek Creek was completed, causing a raise in annual income by about $300, so that the expenses for the improved fire protection are more than compensated for.

Last, I noticed some heavy traffic building up in Old Town so I decided to build a second connection between Old Town and Hillview. While building the roads, I noticed that many roads across the city were in horrible shape and that the water pumps were overloaded, so as a last action before leaving the office, I renewed the broken streets and build 4 new water pumps, which is the reason why the treasury only contains $393 at the moment, sorry about that, successing mayor of Dossington, but I leave you with a bit more annual income than I had when I took over:

Population 19250
    Treasury $393
    Income $707
    Approval 68%

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    toasty
    toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

Yoink!

toasty
    toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

Mayor Toasty’s report:

—-
    – In response to high demand, residential and industrial taxes are raised. Approval ratings drop, but Mayor Toasty resolves to lower them in the final year of his term, claiming, “None of these morons will even remember by then.”
    – Several small parks are placed around the old city to increase land value.
    – Not much else happens. Mayor Toasty blames the previous administration’s overspending on health and education, denying any links to the global economic crisis.

—-
    – Increased tax revenues are directed towards redeveloping the Windy Tops. Despite the weather, the neighbourhood prospers.
    – Mayor Toasty, anticipating trouble with the antiquated power grid, adds a new section to the main hydroelectric dam.

—-
    – Flush with money but not much land, Mayor Toasty drains the swamp below the Windy Tops. The Windy Bottom development is born.

—-
    – Mayor Toasty attends the opening ceremony for the Windy Bottom park.
    – Another section is added to the hydroelectric dam.

—-
    – FIRE! A factory in the centre of Stinky Place Industrial park burns to the ground. Mayor Toasty responds swiftly, and the city is saved.
    – Mayor Toasty declines to comment on allegations he started the fire in order to improve his reputation.

—-
    Mayor Toasty forgets to lower taxes because demand is still high, and gets booted out of office.

Population: 20080
    Treasury: $452
    Yearly income: $1084
    Approval: 50%

Attachments:
    wan
    wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

Timelapse update:

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Very nice!

I’ll pick it up next, if that’s ok.

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Sorry for the delay! I’ve just taken my turn and left Dossington with a bright looking future!

—-
    Mayor Tijn is dedicated to making Dossington “a more liveable city”, as was promised during his campaign. In order to realise this, action is immediately undertaken:

* The fire department is reorganised to run more efficiently, saving 50% of its budget for better uses.
    * An anti-drug campaign is started to help the kids of Dossington reach their potential.
    * Pollution controls are mandated, so the citizens of Dossington can breathe freely.
    * Taxes are increased by 1% across the board to fix the city’s empty treasury.

—-
    * A police station is built near the bridge between Stinky and Riverside
    * A fire station and hospital are built in Windy Bottom
    * There is an on-going lack of power in Dossington, but the funds are lacking to fix this issue properly. Because the city generates enough income, a $10,000 bond is issued at 6% to make sure the necessary developments can be implemented for the benefit of all citizens.
    * The funds are used to build a significant number of hydro plants, providing cheap, clean and durable energy for the city.
    * A grade school is built in Hillview

—-
    * A great number of water pumps are built near the Micropolis lake. Both the electrical and water issues of Dossington are hereby sorted for years to come.
    * To meet the great demand for housing, additional residential zones are placed in Windy Bottom

—-
    * As demand for housing remains high, it’s clear the city needs to expand. Beyond the Windy Tops & Bottom area is suitable area, but it’s hard to reach because of the hills in between. An ambitious project is started to build a tunnel that allows to access the area beyond the hills, to allow future development and expansion of the city.

—-
    * A glorious tunnel is built to allow “Grand Valley” to be developed into the expansion the city so desperately need!

Population: 24050
    Treasury: $656
    Yearly income: $1185
    Approval rating: 64%

Attachments:
    sorceress
    sorceress
    Participant

my turn!

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

* The fire department is reorganised to run more efficiently, saving 50% of its budget for better uses.

Doesn’t the fire department funding directly affect the chance of a fire? This must be reverted ASAP by the next mayor, least Dossington burn to the ground!

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I don’t think so, kdrnic. As long as the fire response is adequate, it’s ok, right?

sorceress
    sorceress
    Participant

——-
    Our power station is nearing the end of it’s life. Previous goverments have made insufficient provision to address this issue, as the hydroelectric plants which have recently been constructed will not be enough to meet our energy needs.

Allowing the power station to fail would be a life threatening disaster, causing chaos and misery for families and businesses across the city. Perhaps the previous goverment would have been happy to have let this happen, leaving us sat in the dark, and our businesses going to ruin?

To help raise funds for the new power station, we’re taking the following actions:

– Cutting funding for schools to 60%
    – Cutting funding for police to 60%
    – Cutting ordinances for free clinics
    – Cutting education ordinances

——-
    Our educational institutions have suffered from years of neglect by previous governments, and our children are now paying the price. After schools throughout this city were graded F in most recent inspections, it is clear the whole educational system is in dire need of top-down reform.

The 1947 Schools Act will overturn the ban on grammar schools, and construction of a new Grammar school in Windy Tops will begin in the spring, giving young people from ordinary working families the opportunities denied to them by previous governments.

——-
    Through our strong and stable leadership, we have raised the necessary funds to seamlessly replace the aging power station before disaster strikes.

We were committed to keeping the lights on for the next 50 years, and we’ve delivered on our promise.

Population: 24290
    Treasury: $956
    Yearly Income: $1446
    Approval Rating: 64%

Attachments:
    kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

It is wan’s turn now

wan
    wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

You can pick the game kdrnic, I won’t be able to play again before a couple days. I’ll steal someone’s turn when I’m back 🙂

sorceress
    sorceress
    Participant

Discussed with kdrnic – we only have 1 week to go, to try and advance the sim to 2017. I suggested we increase to 10 year slots, as this will only require 6 more turns.

We were voted in for 10 more glorious years!

1950 – 1954
    ——————
    Now that the power issue is over, the cuts to public services have been reversed, with police, health and education budget being raised to 70% and fire dept budget being raised to 50%

Education and health ordinances are also restored to pre 1945 levels.

We begin construction of a new district in Grand Valley.

1955 – 1959
    ——————
    Nuclear power invented. Dossington declared a nuclear free zone.
    A new settlement is established in Redneck County, and a seaport is constructed on the coast near micropolis.

Due to high demand for residental areas, residental tax is raised to 10%

Having $11,467 in the treasury at the end of 1959, the bond is repayed, leaving $1467 for the next governor to play with.

Population: 25710
    Treasury: $1467
    Yearly Income: $2182
    Approval Rating: 64%

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.