HEROES OF MIGHT & MAGIC
Forum Replies Created
Oh no, I made rnlf’s mistake too D: I thought the game started in 1911 so I had to play until 1915, but I started in 1910, so I played for 6 years by accident :'(
Here’s a report of what happened:
* In response to the high demand of industrial zoning, a new industrial area will be created across the river. It will be known as: “Riverside Modern Industry”
* The lake in the middle of the new industrial area will be redesigned in order to use the land area more efficiently
* Riverside project phase 1: building a bridge across the river and laying a ring road
* To finance this project, Industry and Commerce taxation will be increased by 1% (to 7% and 8% respectively)
* A small park is built between Stinky Place Industrial and Old Town
* Phase 2 of the Riverside Modern Industry project is initialised: water pipes & electricity lines are put into place
* Because of the lasting demand in Commerce, a 1% Sales Tax is introduced to help finance further development in this type of zoning in the future
* An unfortunate water shortage is reported
* To combat the water shortage, 3 new water pumps have been built. After inspecting the water network, it turned out an area in Hillside was not connected to the water network, a serious oversight of previous administrations. Mayor Tijn has restored the network, which was likely the cause of the shortage.
* Riverside project phase 3: industrial zoning of the new area is underway, despite significant funds having been used for the redundant water pumps instead.
* The Riverside Modern Industrial project is completed
* Additional industry zones are assigned in Hillside
* In response to rising demand in Residential zones, additional space for housing is designated between the Old Town & Hillview area
* The new Residential zone between Old Town & Hillview is finalised
* At the people’s request, a small park is added to the new residential zone as well
* Commercial & Industrial taxation is lowered by 1% to respectively 7% and 6% to allow growth in these areas
* The new Residential zone is slightly expanded. Also a City Hall and Mayor’s House are added to the area
* To keep the crime rate low, a Neighbourhood Watch Program is instated
* A 1% Income Tax is implemented to pay for the additional services the city is providing
End of 1915 status:
Yearly income: $716
Projected income for 1916: $762
Sorry again for governing an extra year!
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
I think it’s fine if the level 5 times are pushed down to be honest. If a level 3 time is faster, it’s only fair it’s placed above a level 5 time.
The level is still mentioned with each entry, so if you’re interested in the best level 5 times, you can look them up, right?
I just realised the other day that the spinning out mechanic of GPC is one of the things that makes this game kinda cool. I understand the feedback isn’t really there, so you can’t tell when it will happen, which doesn’t make it a great simulation game. But it does provide a nice upper limit to prevent going max speed into a corner. It is precisely because it’s kind of hard to predict, that it makes the game quite exciting.
Especially in the McLaren, if you’re pushing for good lap times, over trying to overtake another car before a corner, being scared of spinning out is what provides the thrill, I feel 😀
Well first of all, maybe we as drivers are at fault? Hm? But yeah, it does seem that the Ferrari allows for a fairly quick lap time to be set relatively easily. Possibly because of the superior handling, even a novice can get it ’round the track without too much trouble.
Doing the same thing in a McLaren or Williams takes more effort, but once you succeed, chances are the times will be quicker because of their higher speeds.
Maybe that explains it?
I don’t think the Ferrari is the worst car exactly. Especially for racing against the AI, I quite like it for its ability to overtake around corners. But maybe it’s not the best for setting quick lap times, even on the bendy streets of Monaco or Detroit.
That being said, the scoreboard is just a snapshot of course. Maybe tomorrow Ferrari will be at #1 everywhere!
As for me, the game is pretty much how I remember it from back when I played it as a kid. The game is rather basic, but offers just enough variety to keep you busy for a while. Main difference between now and back then, is that I always used to play on the easiest difficulty, where as now it’s quite the opposite and I’m always playing on level 5. I suppose these 25 years weren’t for nothing, as I’ve acquired some racing skills which I was lacking back then, hehe 😛
At first I was enjoying doing championships quite a bit. It’s not that easy to get yourself through qualifying and a race without hurting yourself, so that’s a nice challenge. Winning a championship doesn’t mean you have to win all races. In fact, you don’t have to win any races, as long as you score more points than anyone else in the end. Combined with the save/load feature, it’s quite doable, even though it can be quite challenging at first to make sure you don’t crash out, because a single contact with another car will mean the end of the race.
After a while, you start to notice however that the AI isn’t actually that good. Once you know a track by heart, it’s not that hard to get a pole position. And once you start on the first row of the grid, a race win is almost guaranteed. So after a while, racing the AI gets old and loses its appeal, because the fun (at least to me) is mostly in overtaking, which doesn’t happen if you’re at the front 😀
I feel the scoreboard does give the game a lot of extra replayability though, because now you’re not competing against dumb AIs, but against real humans. There aren’t a lot of things I enjoy as much in gaming as it is racing against other people. Even though we are only doing time trials (sadly GPC has no multiplayer racing features), beating someone’s time still feels much more exciting to me than winning from any AI.
My main complaint now is that I wish the game would give me better access to the built-in scoreboard. It only seems to appear after a session, but there’s no way to access it directly?
Otherwise GPC seems to be a pretty solid racer, especially for the time. Of course the format has since been massively improved upon, and I must say I enjoy some other racing games from that era such as Test Drive II quite a bit more, but still. To me, the few things that GPC offers are well done and still quite enjoyable.