Reply To: First impressions

Home Forums Previous Months 19 – August 2018: Warcraft 2 First impressions Reply To: First impressions

Corgibuttz
Participant
Podcaster

I’m having a lot of fun w/ the revisit so far! I’ve used dosbox to get it working off my original CD! I still have the box, and disc, but no manuals or goodies. Just a box and disc. I was lucky about 6 months ago I found the expansion at a thrift store for a buck!

I’m currently on the last level or the orc campaign. While taking a while to get used to the lack of control groups for units, and buildings, I’ve actually learned to appreciate the rhythm of trying to keep the macro going w/ frantic clicks and hot keys alone.

I see some people pointing out flaws, which yeah it has, but I think it’s important to remember what this grew out of. I loved Warcraft 1 as a kid, and Warcraft 2 just came w/ so many quality of life improvements and beautiful graphics.

When I play it now, it’s not hard for me to remember what it was like to experience it back in the day, and appreciate it despite it falling short in certain areas all these years later.

It’s still early enough in the month that I think I’m going to try to play through the orc campaign expansion. I never had it as a kid and I would love to see some levels that I hope are more difficult.

My only “problem” w/ the game is that so far it hasn’t been too much of a challenge.