Reply To: Ideal way to play ROTT these days?

Home Forums Previous Months 55 – March 2021: Rise of the Triad Ideal way to play ROTT these days? Reply To: Ideal way to play ROTT these days?

watchful
Participant

Maker of WinROTT has a “GL” version which I actually prefer to the DOS version. It’s quirky to install so try following this guide: https://www.gog.com/forum/rise_of_the_triad_series/installing_winrottgl_v170

Note that there is a newer version found here by tweaking a broken link on maker’s website. My preference is also to turn off the models this GL version provides in favor of the sprites. Feels closer to the original yet without jankiness of original controls. One other quirk with WinRottGL is it doesn’t seem to correctly load the stored settings changed in its menus, at least not with my install. So I just reapply them each time I launch.

All that said the DOS version is still functional with WASD controls and mouse turning after some tweaking of sensitivity. The lower resolution though can make it hard to see far away enemies, which often have instant hit-scan attacks.