First impressions

This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by rnlf rnlf 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • dollarone
    dollarone
    Participant
    Podcaster

I started playing this again – apparently I played it a bit a few years ago according to steam. It’s a lot harder than I remember from the DOS days, perhaps I’m just older and slower?

The cutscenes are hilarious as the cop guy looks exactly like George Lucas. George Lucas wants to make you race death rally for him! Do it or it’s the rock, kid. You better not mess up! Why hasn’t this movie been made? I’m just surprised you’re not racing Boba Fett and Han Solo.

Anyway, back to the racing. I’m struggling to win races but also spending too much time upgrading vehicles I won’t really use.

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I’ve got myself an almost fully upgraded Porsch- erm… Wraith now. I think I’m getting quite close to the end!

Spent quite a bit more than Richard’s 4 hours though, haha.

HunterZ
    HunterZ
    Participant

Just spent a few minutes playing this. I never played it back in the day for some reason, so I have a nostalgia-free viewpoint on the game.

My first impression is that it’s not my kind of thing, except that it reminds me a bit of R.C. Pro-Am on the NES. I think I’m getting too old to be any good at racing games lol.

Technologically this game is pretty interesting:
    – Amiga-style sample-based soundtrack
    – SVGA graphics?
    – Some usage of 3D polygons for the track borders I think?

Some things that I really bounced off of while playing:
    – Walls on sides of track that can bring you to a standstill in an instant are not fun.
    – For some reason, they put some things in that block your view of your car, and sometimes they’re even on corners. This is pure evil and not fun.
    – I don’t have an objection to being able to run over people in a racing game, but it feels extraneous in this game, like it was just added for shock value.

I bet multiplayer is pretty fun.

Pix
    Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’ve never tried it but I guess it should be possible to play this multiplayer via DOSBox IPX. Wouldn’t mind giving it a go if anyone is up for it.

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Oh yeah, I’d love to try to setup a multiplayer session. I’ll make a separate thread for it.

rnlf
    rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I am somewhat positively surprised by the game. Yes, there are some problems with the physics, especially how touching an obstacle *lightly* can bring your car to a dead stop and how you cannot turn your car anymore once an enemy bumps into you and pushes you even slightly around.

But at the same time, these physics problems, which are bad for racing are *great* for fighting. It’s much easier to target enemies and stay on target than it would be in actual racing physics.

I also like how they apparently saw some problems with the game design and counteracted them by imposing additional requirements for the payout of money and such:

In theory you could just go very slowly and collect all the money in a race. That would allow you to reliably (though slowly) save the money you need for better cars and upgrades. But the game actually requires you to place at least 3rd so you actually get the money. I like how they found an ingame explanation for the fact (“Money is for winners!”).

The same goes for being lapped. You could just sit in one spot, waiting for your enemies to come by again and shoot them until all three of them are dead. That would make you the winner and doesn’t require any driving (except to collect up machine gun ammo). But being lapped also means no money for you at all, with more or less the same explanation. Even though you technically won the race, you’re still considered a disgrace for the racing community and get nothing.

The only thing they were fair enough to still give you is the wrenches you picked up. So when you have a badly damaged car, just drive slowly behind everyone else and pick them up to fix your car for free.

toasty
    toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’d never played this game before, but after seeing @rnlf‘s stream and then joining the multiplayer stream I had to give it a go.

First impressions were really positive. I think the music and graphics are great, and this game has a lot in common with GTA stylistically, which I also love. The racing starts off quite hard but after purchasing new tyres I settled in quite easily.

I ended up doing exactly what @pix did and smashing through most of it in a marathon session that ended in the wee hours of the morning. I think this actually says quite a lot about the game, though: the rewards are perfectly spaced apart, and there’s always something to aim for. Also the idea of reaching the top of the rankings is quite obvious from the very start. This simplicity and the raw competitiveness makes it pretty addictive. (I ended up having an intense rivalry with Clint West after he rammed me into the side of a track and blew up my car. Oh boy was I angry…)

The only major detractor for me is the physics: in particular how hitting rough terrain completely kills your speed, and how sometimes your car ends up flipping direction. Other than that, though, the game is brilliant!

rnlf
    rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

There are also some collision glitches. Sometime you tunnel through the wall. If there’s road on the other side, it won’t count as progress until you reach the place you left (or some hidden checkpoint, I assume).

But if there’s nothing behind the wall you tunnel through, the game just freezes…

Tijn
    Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I recommend just staying on the road, guys 😛

rnlf
    rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah, tell that to the asshole AI who use their faster cars to push you against the wall :-p

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.