3D Tetris called BlockOut from 1989

Home Forums Game Suggestions 3D Tetris called BlockOut from 1989

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• BlockOut
    Participant

Hi.
    I suggest a game called BlockOut from 1989.
    Here is a version in HTML5.
    https://gamereality.se/blockout/index.php

You can try the original code if you Google: blockout online
    and you will find some to try in your browser with a DOS emulator.

There is a C++ version called BlockOut2 and I am MagI in scoreboard position 29 on Level: Out of control

Great game 🙂

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I remember playing that on a friend’s computer. And we just covered a different game from the same studio. It’s maybe a bit small to make a whole month about it, but maybe we can do tetris-like month next year or so.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I played a clone of this from a bit later. I think it was just called 3Dtris or something?
    Mine had the gimmick where you could turn on an option that would make it work with 3D glasses! (Like the old cardboard and cellophane style ones)

I would also have a bunch of suggestions for tetris alikes and clones!

claw
    Participant

I remember this! This and Prince of Persia were the first two games I played on PC when my dad brought home a second-hand Olivetti M24 around 1990. Green phosphor monitor and PC speaker sound didn’t do it many favours. Looking back on it gives me the warm fuzzies but I’m not sure it was that great a game in hindsight. It had a cool title screen, though.

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

I played the pants off this game, great fun!

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Claw: weird coincidence: my dad brought home a second-hand olivetti M24 in about 1990 as well! (Give or take a year)
    The only difference is mine had a CGA monitor.
    I believe it was almost exactly the model shown on this page:
    http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/10534/Olivetti-M24/
    Except that it had to floppy drives and no hard drive.

claw
    Participant

TigerQuoll: yep, pretty sure that’s the same one. Maybe it was actually CGA and I’m misremembering, we had some 8-bit machines in the house that did way more colours than CGA so it could’ve just seemed like monochrome.

I don’t know where he got it from, could have been second hand from the BBC where he worked at the time.

KewlioMZX
    Participant

I don’t feel like this game would really stand up as its own entire episode, but a general episode about falling block games would be fun.

PixelProphecy
    Participant
    Podcaster

Ah, just realized that Blockout is by the same guys who made Street Rod! No wonder it’s so … Polished 😉

BlockOut
    Participant

Here is a online browser version in JavaScript and HTML5 with global scoreboard. 😀
    Can anyone beat my score? 🙂
    I play BlockSet: Extended

https://blockout.nu

MagI
    —–

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

“No wonder it’s so Polished”.
    Bravo! 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Game Suggestions 3D Tetris called BlockOut from 1989