A roguelike or roguelikes – specially Crawl

Home Forums Game Suggestions A roguelike or roguelikes – specially Crawl

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• kdrnic
    Participant

Linley Henzell’s Dungeon Crawl is a very interesting roguelike, it is widely played to this day in the form of its offspring Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

The roguelike is an interesting genre, and there were some cool ones popular in DOS days.

Henzell reportedly started Crawl after getting a PC with DR-DOS and a copy of Turbo C++, having previous experience with BASIC. That is a quite interesting dev story.

Mgoddard
    Participant
    Podcaster

Never heard of this before. Seems to be a more in depth ZZT with RPG elements, and of course the rogue-like features. Will need to check it out, thanks!

Evil Taco
    Participant

Fun to see a recommendation for Crawl. 🙂 I don’t think there’s a version for DOS that wouldn’t pale in comparison with the more modern continuations though..

kdrnic
    Participant

Many, maybe most, of the games in this club pail in comparison to their more modern continuations… that ought to be no excuse…

Evil Taco
    Participant

Well, in this case, Crawl has been continuously develop (well, Stone Soup is technically a fork I suppose..) Going back to old versions feels a bit painful. But maybe I haven’t realized the right spirit!

Last Stone Soup version with a DOS release is 0.5.1 from mid-2009 here: http://crawl.develz.org/release/0.5/

KewlioMZX
    Participant

Fun fact: The source code for AlphaMan, a post-apoc roguelike from 1995, has just been released.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Game Suggestions A roguelike or roguelikes – specially Crawl