Abuse

Home Forums Game Suggestions Abuse

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

This is a game I’ve tried several times, but never put in enough time to really get to know it.

It’s a side scrolling Run & Gun game and pretty good looking if you ask me.

Apparently it was even developed by ex-id-Software people, so certainly something that’s also connected to the narrative of “how id changed gaming forever” we started in the Keen episode :-p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abuse_(video_game)

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’d vote for this! Looks very pretty, and it even had a website with some pretty sweet screenshots 😀

B.LEAGUER
    Participant

This would be a tremendously good one. I’ve been wanting to join the club and this was a forgotten but very hype release if memory serves. I need to play this again! Played it quite a bit, pretty sure I didn’t finish. It was all the more awesome because I think it was available for Linux at initial release, and a friend of mine was giving me my first taste of *nix at the time… 🙂

evilcommiedictator
    Participant
    Podcaster

+1 for Abuse, one of the games I thought would be great for the podcast, scared the crap outta me when I was 12, and is also great fun

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’d definitely love to do this one 🙂 I had the shareware version ages ago, made a couple of levels for it through the provided editor, but never got very far in the main game.

Evil Taco
    Participant

This would be a cool pick for sure! I played the SW version and thought it was really neat (although my machine would slow down a lot trying to run it during the more action-y parts). Not too long ago, I played a more recent build a bit again and felt that it held up pretty well. The keyboard+mouse combo in 2D was very fresh back then and feels ‘modern’ still. I’ve played a bunch of recent-ish indie games that must have had Abuse as their inspiration.

Baron Blubba
    Participant

This game would be great. It was SO scary to play as a kid, with those alien sounds coming from all over, just out of sight, right before the swarms of aliens come rushing in. The controls were so much fun, using the mouse to aim and the keyboard to move. Almost like a Robotron 2084 twin stick sidescroller. The id Software DNA is strong in this one; it can easily be described as side-scrolling Doom.

pointer
    Participant

One of those games where I’m surprised it’s a DOS game, because it’s so fast, well-rounded, looks, sounds and plays great even now.

Has a neat Linux port too.

tamsin.lm
    Participant

Anyone know if that level editor contest they touted back upon release ever happened? I don’t think I ever saw any mention of it on their website. I always wondered if someone won it and the cash prize is why they ran out of money half way through their next title.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Abuse