Beware of the mouse driver (tech support post)

Home Forums Previous Months 47 – August 2020: Z Beware of the mouse driver (tech support post)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• LocoMJ
    Participant

Hi guys,

This is some info for people who are playing on the real DOS.

My copy runs good on DOSBox but I have a real Pentium with me, so I tried to play ‘Z’ on that box.

Suddendly, the game freezes randomly, so I started a “journey” changing the graphics card, the sound card, doing memory tests with memtest…

This morning, trying it, I realized that mouse icon disappeared and then game crashed. So, I changed my usual mouse DOS driver from Genius to cutemouse.

Now Z is working perfect!

voxel
    Participant

Great news! Any idea why Genius mouse driver was freezing the game?

LocoMJ
    Participant

I have no clues about that…
    I’ve always use that driver with that mouse and this is the first time I detect this problem.

f2bnp
    Participant

Odd! Thankfully I’ve not encountered this, playing the DOS version under Win98, although I did encounter a seemingly random crash.
    Par for the course I guess!

LocoMJ
    Participant

I also had random crashes… In my case I couldn’t play for more than 2 or 3 minutes. Now, zero crashes 🙂
    Try this. You never know.

f2bnp
    Participant

Well, like I said, I am playing under Win98, so the mouse driver is not loaded, I’m not in Real DOS when playing.

Besides, I already use cutemouse as my main mouse driver for my Real DOS 😛

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 47 – August 2020: Z Beware of the mouse driver (tech support post)