Confused on Editions (GOG vs Steam Gold Edition)

Home Forums Previous Months 70 – July 2022: The Last Express Confused on Editions (GOG vs Steam Gold Edition)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Shattered
    Participant
    Podcaster

Hey DOS Gamers!

Happy July! Excited to play another adventure game.

Anyone know what the “Gold Edition” is or recommend a version to play?

Currently “Last Express” is full price on GoG, but the Gold Edition on Steam is 60% off until July 7th. It’s so cheap though that 60% off only means a few dollars difference so if anyone has any opinions on which version to get, I’m definitely interested.

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

According to this Gold brings hints and achievements mostly: https://www.destructoid.com/the-last-express-gold-edition-launches-on-steam/

looks like it only has “more stuff” so the experience should not be much different

one thing though I wish it had would be a map 😀

watchful
    Participant

Actually I found the areas so … linear it was one of the few adventure games I didn’t feel the need for a map.

copypaper
    Participant

It’s very linear but the train cars are also so identical that I found it easy to wind up in the wrong train car room.

Which, you know, sometimes worked out.

copypaper
    Participant

This is probably a little late, but I wanted to note here that it looks like the Gold edition is more than just achievements.

I bought the game on GoG and had a very difficult time getting DOSBox to not crash on the title screen. When it worked at all it stuttered horribly. After playing with the settings a bunch, I bought the Gold version on steam, and it launched without dosbox and I had no problems running it. I know Dotemu did some update work to make the game run on iOS, so perhaps that work was brought over to the Gold version.

I also see that the Gold edition says it has a new more intuitive UI and inventory, a new hints system, in addition to achievements.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 70 – July 2022: The Last Express Confused on Editions (GOG vs Steam Gold Edition)