Deluxe Ski Jump (2000, mediamond)

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games Deluxe Ski Jump (2000, mediamond)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Just found this little gem from 2000/2001 called Deluxe Ski Jump. Very late, but it’s definitely a DOS game.

Pretty nice 3D graphics, quite well polished and pretty good controls, even though I never got very good at it.
    (I played a full tournament, and finished second last! I think I landed in the scoring area maybe one time in 5)

I’m not sure where the developer, mediamond, is from. Maybe Germany given the doc file that came with the version I found was in German?

[edit: nope, they’re from Finland]

I think you could actually lose a lot of time with this one. It seems to have a pretty high skill roof, and strangely addictive gameplay.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

2000 is perhaps the craziest time to release a new DOS game. Even crazier than to release one now haha.

Can’t wait to try this one though!

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

Just been playing this one. I can’t say exactly what it is about it but it really hooked me. I was playing for a good half hour before getting rudely interrupted by my shopping arriving. I’d probably still be on it otherwise. It’s really relaxing and addictive, gradually learning exactly what you need to do to get a good jump.

I think there are a lot of hidden depths with the angle you need to be while flying seeming to change depending on the wind. I’m managing to get in the top 5 some of the time now but nowhere near winning anything. Easily my favourite of the games I’ve played so far. I may well go back to it but there are another 7 or 8 games to try first.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I found if you watch the snowflakes flying past you as you’re in the air it gives you some kind of a hint as to how to hold your angle. What the exact formula is I haven’t worked out yet.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

This is such an odd game. You play with the mouse??

It seems to have some sort of ragdoll physics going on, which is pretty impressive for 2000 honestly.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Yeah, entirely mouse as far as I can tell. And I think that’s a good thing because of the really fine grained control you need when you’re in the air.

The ragdoll physics kind of remind me of that game “Stair Dismount”…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games Deluxe Ski Jump (2000, mediamond)