Difficulty levels: 3 or 5?

Home Forums Previous Months 02 – April 2017: Grand Prix Circuit Difficulty levels: 3 or 5?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

It would be cool to try driving at level 3 to aim for actual best times & compete directly with the Wijma brothers.

Now I don’t want to break the current scoreboard by pushing the level 5 times down… What do you think we should do? Split the scoreboard in two? Stay at level 5? Or just switch to level 3 once and for all?

EDIT: I just gathered the world records at difficulty 3 from the podcast:

• – Brazil 1.14.5 (Ferrari*) D.Wijma
    • – Monaco 0.52.5 (Ferrari) by D.Wijma
    • – Canada 0.59.5 (McLaren) by D.Wijma
    • – Detroit 1.01.5 (Ferrari) by A.Wijma & D.Wijma (tie)
    • – Britain 1.02.4 (Ferrari) by A.Wijma
    • – Germany 1.23.0 (McLaren) by A.Wijma
    • – Italy 1.08.0 (McLaren) by D.Wijma
    • – Japan 1.17.9 (McLaren/Ferrari**) by D.Wijma
    •  

* Just slightly better than the McLaren
      ** Exact same time with both cars

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I think it’s fine if the level 5 times are pushed down to be honest. If a level 3 time is faster, it’s only fair it’s placed above a level 5 time.

The level is still mentioned with each entry, so if you’re interested in the best level 5 times, you can look them up, right?

AndriesW
    Participant
    Podcaster

Being able to stay just a little bit longer in the red zone of the tachometer is the only small advantage with level 3 compared to level 5. It only has some importance for a few corners and only if you make us of this method. So on average the advantage is only a fraction of a second.

The argument for using level 5 is mainly in the realm of racing: having better opponents.

wan
    Participant
    Podcaster

Yeah after playing a bit on Level 3 the difference is not obvious at all. I agree with leaving all scores together.

AndriesW
    Participant
    Podcaster

I have made a complete overview of the record lap times of me and my younger brother.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Cool site, Andries!

Endurance Swimmer
    Participant

I’d like to see a video of 52.5 seconds for Monaco! I’m a tad sceptical about that time.

AndriesW
    Participant
    Podcaster

The two record laps of 52.5 seconds set by my younger brother weren’t captured on video. But I did record my two fastest laps of 52.7 seconds.

Endurance Swimmer
    Participant

Ok I’ve seen it and I stand corrected! Blistering lap. I can see there are 2 areas you actually go off the track and are not penalised by the game (which is fair game of course if it lets you do it). I’m going to try it tonight and see if I can keep it flat. That’s assuming the version I use will let me (sometimes games from that era do strange things on different computers). Actually I’ve found a perfect line in turn 1 can actually be done whilst keeping it flat and on the track with minimum loss of revs but going into Cassino Square (the second sequence of corners) I’ve always had to drop a gear so I might be able to gain something there. That being said 52.5 seems a long way away. I did a 57.1 last night and took the DOS Game Club track record (sorry Marco but I’ve had my eye on that one for a while)! I did 56 flat twice back in the early 90’s so I’m some way from my best. My current keyboard is also causing some issues as my gear shifts aren’t always registering and I have to do them again. I’ve lost many a good lap recently on account of that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 02 – April 2017: Grand Prix Circuit Difficulty levels: 3 or 5?