Ducktales : The Quest for Gold

Home Forums Game Suggestions Ducktales : The Quest for Gold

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• PixelProphecy
    Participant
    Podcaster

A game of my childhood that I recently rediscovered. It has surprisingly good graphics for an EGA title and even PC speaker sound effects are bearable. It’s a collection of mini games with various degrees of Bad Controlsβ„’.

I think, it’s too small a game to play a full month but still quite entertaining for an afternoon or two.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Look at all that EGA awesomeness πŸ˜€

As a life-long Duck Tales fan, I think this clearly needs to go on the to-play list!

PixelProphecy
    Participant
    Podcaster

As long as we can look past the sometimes clunky controls πŸ˜‰

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

Duck Tales is so great. I have played this at my dad’s work for years. I managed to win for the first time after maybe a year of playing.

Have you managed to make it run at a correct speed? I have not had that much luck in DosBox, especially the mountain climbing parts can get quite frustrating.

PixelProphecy
    Participant
    Podcaster

@yozy: I have not πŸ˜‰ What helped for the climbing parts was slowing down DOSBox and ever so slightly tapping the buttons, that they register as down for just a single game tick. Like I said: clunky πŸ˜‰

Corgibuttz
    Participant
    Podcaster

I loved this game as a kid. My friend had it, and he did not like it. I’m pretty sure I tortured him by asking to play it every single time I visited. πŸ™‚

Toblakai
    Participant

Hello, just found this podcast and I love it already. Seem like I missed some really great games last year..

Just re-downloaded this game to show to my kids. And I remember that even in the days I owned a 386 with a switch for 12 or 33 mhz the game had speed issues in the mountain and jungle levels, when it would sometimes speed up. No bugfixes in those days. I run it at 5000 cycles in dosbox and it operates like it did back then.

I still find the labyrinths the most difficult, though i think the levels are fixed per location like mountains are, so once you have found a safe path, it will always be like that. I just don’t care enough to write them down, plenty of treasure elsewhere.

Hard mode is still pretty hard, although that is mostly due to crashing your plane in impossible to pass levels with Mcscrooge flying past all the hazards. Ever came across some aliens camping a radio mast with a storm cloud above it? Pass that Mcquack.

evilcommiedictator
    Participant
    Podcaster

I played this game “live”, and in modern DOSBOX it does have issues in both the jungles and the mountains!

Each game is swearing at flying your plane towards the easy photography sessions then picking your least-favoured missions from the Jungle jumping, mountain climbing or cave-avoiding minigames – in a properly timed machine I found the mountain to be OK enough once you knew the patterns, but the same applies to jungles (but caves, too scary!)

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

The caves actually have rules, which is something I learned way too late. If I remember correctly a slimed cavern means that there is a hole nearby. Then you have to look at the map and apply minesweeper logic to it.

I agree that the timing is the worst and it’s very hard to get this game to work properly.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I just want to add I’ve played this a ton as a kid and would love to feature it for a month.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Ducktales : The Quest for Gold