EGA vs VGA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

There are two versions of Quest for Glory available. Even though they are similar in terms of story, characters, items, puzzles, etc. they are also quite different!

Here’s the opening scene in the 1989 EGA release:

And here’s the same scene, but in the 1992 VGA remake:

What a difference! The VGA version is completely painted by hand too. I think it’s even pretty by today’s standards.

But they are not just different on the surface, they way the game is played is different too. The EGA version features a text parser, which means you have to type commands to perform actions. The VGA version on the other hand has a point & click interface, so it can be played completely with the mouse.

I think if you’re new to the game, the VGA version might be a bit more accessible. It’s certainly prettier, but it also is slightly easier to play. The EGA version definitely has its charm too though and I think it even includes slightly more content (some text bits and 1 or 2 screens that aren’t in the VGA version).

synertia
    Participant

I think EGA is good for experimenting with different things and getting more humorous responses. But they’re both fun to play!

d4rk0men
    Participant

Fun fact: The two versions are so mechanically similar that a bug present in earlier builds of the EGA version is present in the VGA version of the game. The bug allows you to complete the game without first completing the major storyline quest that comes before the final encounter. In the GOG release of the game, the bug is patched out from the EGA version, but still present in the VGA version.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Oooh, that’s interesting, d4rk0men! Care to share what the bug is? Is it about getting into the brigands base?

Dorchadas
    Participant

EGA is definitely my favorite, and not just because it’s the first version I played. I never liked the claymation look of the VGA version, and the EGA version has some amazing graphics, like Erana’s Peace.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

What I’ve also noticed is that the VGA version is more glitchy. There are weird bugs with the colours and sometimes characters get stuck.

I haven’t noticed a lot of bugs in the EGA version on the other hand!

Avoozl
    Participant

Generally I prefer VGA including the VGA-like remake of QFG2, but the EGA version of QFG1 does have some interesting extras not present in the VGA version.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.