Empire: Wargame of the Century

Home Forums Game Suggestions Accepted Suggestions Empire: Wargame of the Century

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Empire: Wargame of the Century
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Empire is a classic turn-based strategy game, originally developed by Walter Bright and released in 1977 for the then-popular PDP-10 Mainframe computer. There are ports for several other contemporary systems.

Empire was a huge inspiration for the turn-based strategy genre. Later games, such as Sid Meier’s Civilization (1991), show a strong resemblance to some of Empire’s core gameplay elements.

Walter maintains a website about Empire and offers the source code of various versions of “Classic Empire”: http://www.classicempire.com/

HOWEVER! The version I would propose we cover in DOS Game Club is the 1987 commercial release by Interstel.

This is the version I played a lot when I was young. It features EGA graphics and PC Speaker audio, but it also has mouse support (which is not that common for games of that era).

Because of the mouse-based UI, this version of the game is a bit more accessible than the original keyboard-controlled versions. But essentially the game remains the same: you start with a single starting city, which has the ability to produce military units. Produced units can move across the map, which is explored as you go along. The units can attack opposing units and take over other cities. The goal is to crush the other players and become an empire spanning the entire globe.

I enjoyed playing this game as a kid and I wonder how it holds up now. I also feel it’s an interesting game to review, because of its historic significance.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Here’s a screenshot of the game, in this case showing a city production screen, with in the background the map on which the game is played.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

You know, this being our very first proper suggestion, maybe we should finally take a look at it!

McKracken
    Participant

Such a great game. Please do a review of it. It’s awesome. Played it on the Atari ST with a friend throughout a whole summer and later on PC.

copypaper
    Participant

My dad was absolutely hooked on Empire Deluxe growing up. Whenever I wanted to buy a new video game, from Civ to Dark Forces, he would ask, “But is it as good as Empire Deluxe? We already have the best game ever made, why do we need another?”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Accepted Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Accepted Suggestions Empire: Wargame of the Century