Endings, Surprises, Game chat [Spoilers]

Home Forums Previous Months 82 – July 2023: The Aching Endings, Surprises, Game chat [Spoilers]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• DJ_HiP
    Participant

Given this is a brand new game I thought we could have a topic on what you’ve found.

This will contain spoilers, so if you’ve not played it yet, go explore!

DJ_HiP
    Participant

I have now finished the game, at least one way, but I ended with 90 something points out of 130, so there is obviously more to explore.

I now intend to go back to ask the scholar more questions about any item, room or space I’ve found.

I already went through every name in the cemetary and he knew nothing! Not a very knowledgeable scholar! πŸ˜€

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I managed to get 124 or maybe 122 on a replay yesterday so I’ll see if I can max that out this month. I seem to recall rolling the score counter past the maximum when I played it before but this may have been fixed since. There are certainly a lot of points for asking the scholar about the right things.

I never used the reeds so there must be something I can do with them. I figured out what to do with the blood but that didn’t achieve much either so I feel there must be more going on there.

I wondered if there was a route where you didn’t have to die for maximum points as you spend a lot of this game being eaten or falling down pits. I’ll have to experiment.

I’ve definitely found one hidden ending anyway and there are points to be gained by following partway down the path to get there. I’ll hold off on spoilers on that for now unless people want them.

DJ_HiP
    Participant

Nice, I haven’t been able to use the reeds either.

I also found an ending… do we say, cafe/diner? if we’ve found the same one πŸ™‚

I’ve also found the geode can be in three places at least, but I haven’t found a way to trigger each place.

I’ve only managed around 106 points now.

Marco
    Participant

I’m not reading your spoiler because I’m playing … anyway πŸ™‚ . 131 of 130 πŸ™‚

Attachments:

DJ_HiP
    Participant

Yeah the points seem to be broken, I have found a few questions I can ask the Scholar unlimited times and it gives points each time.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

Yes, the “diner” ending. I’ve found another sort of ending since which also scores you 666 points. I’ll give that one away since it’s not really part of the game. You’ll find it by trying to cheat.

The game does still feel slightly unfinished/broken at times. To get more spoilerish, you can use the pail of blood found in the “kitchen” on the wall at the starting room to get points but it achieves nothing. There are actions that seem like they should work and don’t. e.g. picking up the knife in the kitchen. No message, also no knife in inventory. Also picking up the pail breaks the game as your legs separate and don’t walk round with your top half any more until you look at an inventory item. The MT-32 support doesn’t seem to work properly for me either. There was talk of a larger version later this year on DGC previously which hopefully will plug these gaps.

I’ve not found anything else new anyway. I don’t think there is anything left to find but I’m prepared to be proved wrong.

I hope we do get that more complete version. I like the atmosphere of the world but getting some more lore and puzzles into the game would improve it. I’d hope that wouldn’t be too much work with the engine in place.

DJ_HiP
    Participant

Oh I haven’t found the 666 ending yet, ok!

Things I think should be able to be explore but I haven’t found a way to yet;

– Scholars Chest with Magic Lock
    – Scholars.. Portal? The Grey circle next to the chest
    – Graveyard.. the centre Gravestone has the circular hole at the top?
    – The Red Wall, in the books in the Study it references soaking a surface in red fluid, which we’ve then done but no portal, or I’ve not found a away to activate a portal
    – Hermit’s Golden Box in the shop?
    – Red Blood Reeds
    – Flesh Wall, any further interaction?

Oh and the Locket? Did I miss something, its in the synopsis for the game yet I’ve found no way to use it aside from talking with the scholar about it.

Maybe I’ve just missed a step with any of those above, but I feel like most of those should be actionable.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m in the same boat for all of the above. As a last resort, I’ve found that you can open up the games resource files in a text editor and all the interactions are there in plain text. As far as I can see we haven’t missed anything. I did find a couple of debug commands but nothing else.

DJ_HiP
    Participant

I messaged Lobdegg on mastodon and got some answers πŸ™‚

– Scholars Chest with Magic Lock
    – Scholars.. Portal? The Grey circle next to the chest
    “The chest and the stone platform in the lab are currently just decorations. At this rate we’ll need another content patch! XD”

– Graveyard.. the centre Gravestone has the circular hole at the top?
    “The hole in the gravestone was @ClarusPlusPlus being very artistic and so many folx get focused on it! XD I may have to add something just to satisfy player curiosity. ^.^”

– The Red Wall, in the books in the Study it references soaking a surface in red fluid, which we’ve then done but no portal, or I’ve not found a away to activate a portal
    “The Red Wall has a bug and it requires a very specific command. The patch has fixed the bug giving it a lot more flexibility.”

– Hermit’s Golden Box in the shop?
    “The Hermit’s Golden Box is a reference joke.” No interaction beyond what the hermit says.

– Red Blood Reeds
    “The Blood Reeds are a red herring”

– Flesh Wall, any further interaction?
    None

– The Locket
    “the Locket has sadly very little in the current build. There’s a lot around it coming in the patch currently in development.”

So it sounds like the next patch/expansion will add a few more features but it also seems like at this stage this is the complete game, while some additional middle-section things will get updates it’s not getting any new ‘chapters’ as such.

Still is a great game for its limitations πŸ™‚

DJ_HiP
    Participant

oh and.. haha.

I was chatting with Lobdegg on itch.io about the 130 points..

https://itch.io/t/2956378/stuck-in-an-examinetalk-loop

DJ: Another bug I found is the ability to get infinite points, by asking the scholar about Karkarath, you can continue to ask the same question for infinite points

L: lol Yeah, we were made aware of that bug recently. The patch already has the fix for that in place. To be fair, it’s the only way you can get the 130th point! The actual max points is supposed to be 129. That one was a basic math error on my part. ^.^;

So playing the game right you cannot even get to 130 points!! haha.

Zerfall
    Participant

I am glad for this thread as I made it to nearly full points but couldn’t find anything to do with the red wall or the blood reeds, glad I wasn’t missing anything with those. I’ll have to check it out again and try and get the right wording for the red wall, I’ve been really looking forward to the content patch as I really enjoyed the game but especially when getting to the end for the first time with just under 100 points I was very surprised it was already over.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I just finished the game for the first time. I love the style and vibe, but am also a bit surprised how much stuff seems completely optional as I only finished with barely over 60 points.

I’d love to find more stuff, especially that 666 ending seems very intriguing.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

The 666 ending is more of an Easter egg. We could do with Discord style spoiler tags on here so I don’t give it away. I attempted a hint list but the forum wasn’t having my span tags.

Hint #1 was “There must be a way to give yourself an unfair advantage in this game”

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah, I agree spoiler tags would be good. It’s something we can incorporate on the new website/forum we’re working on for sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 82 – July 2023: The Aching Endings, Surprises, Game chat [Spoilers]