Epic Pinball

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

This is an original pinball game for DOS, published by Id Software in 1993. Haha j/k, of course it’s by Epic Megagames.

The original release includes the tables: Android, Pot of Gold, Excalibur and Crash & Burn. Later expansions include more tables: Magic, Jungle Pinball, Deep Sea, Enigma, Cyborgirl, Pangaea, Space Journey, Toy Factory & African Safari.

I remember playing this one a lot, but how does it hold is? Please share your thoughts.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Apparently this is sort of the same game as Silverball? What’s up with that?

LunarLoony
    Participant
    Podcaster

Silverball was the original game by James Schmalz. Epic Pinball is kind of an improved, updated version with different tables, as is my understanding.

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

There were also individual releases of some of the tables (as per moby games), doesn’t make all too much sense.

I did eventually ‘cheat2win’ and activate the android, just so I could see what happens, after years of playing the table.

LunarLoony
    Participant
    Podcaster

Yeah, I think quite a few episodic games did that – Jill also had individual releases for each episode, and you could buy Jazz’s episodes separately direct from Epic.

Mike
    Participant
    Podcaster

I think this game is kinda neat. I’m not good at it because I need to be able to see the entire table when playing pinball, but the music in some of those tables is so good!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Being able to see the whole table in one screen is really uncommon in these DOS pinball games. All the ones I’ve played so far have the screen scrolling up & down as you play.

Maybe spacefarer knows of one that shows the table all at once?

LunarLoony
    Participant
    Podcaster

There are a few examples I can think of. The Pro Pinball games all have the full table on-screen, and the likes of Star Trek Pinball also do it (though those games are pretty bad).

Can’t think of any others off the top of my head, but the rule of thumb seems to be that if it uses pre-rendered graphics, you’ll be able to see everything. Otherwise, it’s scrollers all the way down.

Shattered
    Participant
    Podcaster

In case anyone’s still interested in playing, it’s on sale on GOG
    GOG Epic Pinball

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.