Favorite Mods and Levels?

Home Forums Previous Months 66 – March 2022: Quake Favorite Mods and Levels?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Mike
    Participant
    Podcaster

I already replayed the original Quake single player and official expansions a few months ago and I’m currently playing through the new episodes that came with the recent rerelease so I’m going to want more stuff soon.

I was wondering what your favorite mods and single player maps by the modding community are? It seems like a modding community that’s still very active and would love recommendations.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I’d love to hear about that, too. Sadly, I missed the Q1 era by 2 years or so when I was young, so I know hardly anything about the culture surrounding the game.

ashley_au
    Participant

I recall three truly memorable mods:

Cujo – mod for the standard single player experience. adds op attack dog (with custom skin) as AI co-op.

ReaperBot – great back story here which lead to Unreal Engine. is an AI opponent for offline multiplay.

Requiem – Quake World mod which introduced new maps / skins / weapons (with best grappling hook mod)

added extra mention of the Quake chess mod too!

ashley_au
    Participant

something I uploaded to archive.org: PC PowerPlay Quake Bible CD

here: https://archive.org/details/QUAKEBIBLE

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

There was a total conversion called Malice that actually got a boxed commercial release. I’ve heard very good things about it but it’s yet another one I’ve had sat on the shelf for years and not played. I’ll be giving that a go once I make it through all the regular expansion packs.

The mod I remember causing a lot of fuss at the time was Quake rally, mainly just for being the first to change the base game completely.

Mike
    Participant
    Podcaster

That reminds me that I have this official X-Men total conversion. You basically walk around killing clones of x-men and it would absolutely never get made today. The only reason this exists is because Marvel was about to go bankrupt and was so desperate for money that they licensed out everything. Sometimes it worked (the x-men and spider-man films) and sometimes it didn’t (this game). It’s pretty awful but fascinating that it exists

https://www.mobygames.com/game/x-men-the-ravages-of-apocalypse

f2bnp
    Participant

Yes, X-Men Ravages of Apocalypse is not good, at all. Be that as it may, I have a fascination with it, I stumbled on it about 20 years ago on “Home of the Underdogs” and I was very young and quite ignorant of what “total conversion” and certainly “requires full version of Quake” actually meant. I spent hours grabbing that mod on dial-up only to find out the hard way.

Some time later, when I finally got a copy of Quake, I managed to actually set it up and play it and… sorta liked it at the time. It certainly is a time capsule and I couldn’t resist grabbing a copy I found for cheap (lucky me!) some years ago.

watchful
    Participant

@Pix Malice! Yes!!! It was on the shelf when I worked at Babbage’s but I only actually got a copy and played a few years ago. I even narrated the playthrough for my podcast. It had an actual plot, characters, cut-scenes, some quirky weapons and fun equipment like a parachute.

Anyway, my favorite mod has to be Star Wars Quake because of the years I spent helping make it. Though it wasn’t much to see until we switched to Quake 2. Still there was an unaffiliated CTF mod for Q1 that was Star Wars themed and quite fun too.

QuakeRally is my other favorite mod. Honorable mentions to AirQuake and Team Fortress.

tamsin.lm
    Participant

Did anyone play the Doom TC that starts with the Doomguy in his house and he gets a phone call to start the game going?

Someone shouting “Doomguy! Doomguy!” Is burned into my memory. So cheese but still so cool!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 66 – March 2022: Quake Favorite Mods and Levels?