Favourite Gags and Jokes? Heavy spoilers, potentially :-p

Home Forums Previous Months 20 – September 2018: The Secret of Monkey Island Favourite Gags and Jokes? Heavy spoilers, potentially :-p

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

What are some of your favourite gags and jokes in the game?

Just collecting them here, maybe we can use that in the podcast as well 🙂

For me, one of the greatest ones is how you get the navigator from the cannibals on Monkey Island. In part 1 you get a manual from Stan “How to get ahead in navigation”. The cannibals don’t know how to make a new navigator head, but when you give them the manual, they accept it, it’s implied they misunderstand it as “How to get A head in navigation”. Laughed my ass off when I realized how to solve this puzzle.

I played it in German years ago and don’t remember how they translated this specific joke. Must be pretty difficult to translate a joke that’s also the integral part of a puzzle.

Another thing is of course the three headed monkey. I had forgotten that Otis teaches you this trick to get away from you near the end of part 1.
    The first time I saw it actually appear after you tried to trick the cannibals the first time was so great.

Also when it appears the third time, have you noticed that one head eats the banana but another head swallows it? Completely crazy.

And lastly, there’s Herman Toothrot. The whole character is cornucopia of jokes. From the fact that he sent a ship full of monkeys to get help (instead of traveling with them!), to the fact that he has a second ship (but didn’t use it because being rescued is the whole point of getting stranded) to the way he keeps repeating how he, too, has “pressing business” to do (– hee hee hee –). Also his insistance that Guybrush should knock when he enters his “house”. Probably my favourite character of the first game.

What do you think?

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

One of my favourite things was all the notes scattered around monkey island, and how some of them appeared only after an event. Also, the inventory name keeps changing as you collect them.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

“Too many memos”. I made the mistake to “Look at too many memos”. Guybrush kept reading them for 5 minutes.

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

I think in most versions you can use ‘.’ to skip dialogue.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Ah. Good to know. Will try it in ScummVM

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

The little cutscene when Stan hands you the ship is really great.

I recorded a video of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QivI70P_UE

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

But honestly, this game is so crazily packed with jokes, it’s almost difficult to find a moment when it’s not hilarious 😀

dollarone
    Participant
    Podcaster

haha it’s all about the speed-up of the text at the end 🙂

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

I loved that you have to get in line for looting the Governor’s mansion, but then the clock actually never advances (and Guybrush comments on it).

And the fact that the Swordmaster has a bunch of T-Shirts ready for the people who have defeated her.

Rnlf already mentioned the way to get the navigator’s head, but also what’s great is that the two other books are “How to arm yourself in combat” and “How to get a leg up in treasure hunting” which is a great way to name a trilogy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 20 – September 2018: The Secret of Monkey Island Favourite Gags and Jokes? Heavy spoilers, potentially :-p