Final Thoughts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

I finished up all three modes, on three different versions of the game, and I was positively surprised about the replay-value and the differences between all three gameplay modes, randomness of some things, as well as the copy protection on the floppy version.

Still a classic and fantastic game to this day!

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’ve finished up the 3 routes also. The fists route was my least favourite. Combat is not a strong point in general but it was a couple of the puzzles that really had me stuck. Pushing that closed door repeatedly being the worst offender.

Every Lucasarts adventure from Monkey Island on was a classic. I’d probably have placed this at the top of the pile before going back. I think that was partly nostalgia but it’s definitely a great game by any standards. Having the 3 routes is such a fantastic idea that we didn’t see them try again.

I only played the floppy version back at the time. I do wonder if the voices are an improvement or not. They were done quite well for the time but I remember some of the lines working better in my head. This must have been Lucasarts first talkie and it does show I thought. Overall, very glad to have gone back to spend some quality time with this game anyway.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I think Loom might have been an earlier talkie, but FoA is definitely an early one.

I’ve not finished my run(s) yet, but from what I’ve seen it holds up better than it did in my memory. Turns out I forgot most of it I’m pleasantly surprised by what I’m encountering. Love all the traveling, to me that’s a highlight of any adventure game and this one doesn’t hold back in that department.

I do think I like most Lucas point & clicks better than this one, but tbh that’s mostly because their standard is insanely high and all of them rank among the best ones out there.

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

Loom was their first talkie, although far inferior to FoA, being more comical by any latter standards. But having done Loom and this, it was easy to move on to DoTT.

Dreamkid
    Participant

I reloaded to play through the Wits and Fists paths the day before yesterday as well as the bad ending. Each path took me around a couple hours from the point to decide to Atlantis.

I never noticed before that this game might actually be a tad lacking at parts with several empty rooms. It’s interesting to compare the paths to see which parts were better fleshed out. I feel this game might be regarded as a classic due to the branching paths almost regardless of how good or bad the game is.

Overall, I feel it’s a pretty good game although not perfect. After playing it again, I find myself wishing I could see branching paths like that in another game. It was also my first exposure to Indiana Jones as I did not learn of the movies until after I tried this game.

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

I almost forgot, when doom scrolling through the book of faces, I was reminded of the other ending if you don’t do something at the end, gotta go back and do that!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.