First impressions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Ok, so I’ve been playing this game for a few evenings now and it took me a while to make some meaningful progress, because oh my god the controls are so weird.

It kind of presents itself as a typical point & click adventure game, but it doesn’t play like one at all. In the end I just gave up pointing & clicking and used the keyboard to walk around. That seems to work a lot better. There are a bunch of icons at the top for various verbs (talk, take, use, look). But instead of clicking them and then pointing at something (you know, point & click) it just immediately applies the verb to whatever you’re standing next to.

There are no hotspots, but instead sometimes there’s a dotted line from the player to something on the screen, to guide your attention towards it. But not always, so you still need to walk around and try to look, which might or might not work.

It’s really quite rough for me to play this, not just because of the awkward controls, but also because of how the dialogues are timed. There’s both speech and text, but they’re not synced, so often the speech will be way further than the on-screen text is. If you want to advance it you can press enter or right-click, but it sometimes skips sections if you do this and you will have missed a piece of information.

It’s a real shame, because the graphics are great and the story is fairly interesting too. It took me a while to get into it, but I’ve now made it to day 2 and things are starting to unfold. I’m determined to power through, but I might grab a walkthrough or something, because often I don’t really understand what the game wants me to do.

So yeah… it’s not great haha. But it’s not uninteresting either! And it looks good, so there’s that.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Yeah, those controls are just… weird. Like unnecessarily weird.
    As for the audio sync issues, the only thing I can think of is that they just never changed the duration of the animations to match the audio for the talkie CD version. (I’m pretty sure the floppy version came out a year earlier?)
    I thought it might have been a system speed issue, but I’ve tried it with so many different combinations in DOSBox and 86Box with no luck that I’m sure it can’t be the problem.
    My main problem with the game though, as you pointed out, is that I just have no idea what it wants me to do. Straight out of the gate we’re dropped into a town approximately 3/4 the size of Tokyo with an empty, labyrinthine forest next to it of about the same area as the Amazon rainforest. There’s not much you can do but blunder around aimlessly for ages.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I spent the entire evening yesterday combing through that forest looking for 3 sticks lol

It’s a forest! Just break off a branch! There are trees everywhere and I’m looking for sticks on the ground AAAAHH

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.