First time players impressions

Home Forums Previous Months 50 – November 2020: Street Rod First time players impressions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, I’m a long-time Street Rod fan and have been playing this since I was a little kid, so it’s hard for me to experience it like it’s brand new.

If this game is new to you, I’d love to hear your experiences! Are you baffled by the crazy upgrades? Is the racing doable? What do you think?

If you’re a streamer of want to record footage of your first play through, that would be especially awesome!

Please share your thoughts 🙂

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I had my first go on this last night for about an hour. Bit early to say – I’m not blown away or anything but first impressions are that it’s pretty good. It all moves surprisingly smoothly on a 286, and the graphics are all nice for what they are (especially the cruising around town). I had mixed success but did manage to win a car and do some upgrades so I’m on the way. I’ll think I’ll go back and reread your guide now I’ve got some context for how this works before I play again. I had a mishap with one car where it ended up not being drivable after I did my upgrade and I’ve no idea why.

The racing mechanics are interesting – the steering is arcadey but with a strong dash of realism with the crashing and engine blowing if you overrev too much. The racing part seems fairly easy on the whole. It’s a bit odd that you can bash into the side of your opponent as hard as you like but if you so much as nudge the back of their car you crash out. I’m not so sure about having 7% wear on engine and tires after a 2.5 mile race either – I’m fairly sure even 50s cars could manage more than 30-40 miles without needing a new engine…

There doesn’t seem to be all that much to it if I’m honest but I did still want to keep playing after that first hour. It has that one more go quality and I’m definitely having fun with it. I’ll have a proper go this weekend and see if I can get a decent car put together.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

That’s great, Richard! I think you’re right there isn’t that much to this game. I just really like the vibe and how they’ve put so much effort into the upgrade mechanics. It really makes me imagine I’m in a garage somewhere tinkering on an old car. And racing them makes it more fun since you feel like you’ve put them together yourself, so you know all the ins and outs. Getting a win is more worthwhile when you’ve put sweat, blood and tears into the vehicle I feel haha

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

Today I bought a car! A cool, blue 1940 Chevrolet 2-dr coupe. And not only that, but I also got me some sweet new parts: a new auto transmission, a 4 brl carb, and some racing slicks. Luckily I was informed that I needed a GM transmission for this car. Otherwise who knows what I’d have bought?

I fit the tyres and boy, is the car is already looking sweet! But when I pop the hood and try to attach the carb, my engine mocks me. Tijn tells me I need a manifold. Sigh. That’s a few hundred dollars wasted already. The same thing happens with the transmission. >__> I guess I’ll just have to pwn my opponents to earn some more money so I can get them parts.

OK, so now I hit the street! I forgot to save, and apparently saving before you leave the house in this game is like remembering to take a coat in the middle of winter.

I find some bloke down the diner with a similar car to mine, and click on his head. I don’t have any money but fortunately there’s an option called “pink slips”! So the race starts and I realise I don’t actually know the controls – or how to drive in general.

Tijn informs me that I need to press up to accelerate, and then press space to put it in drive. I’m not sure if that’s all there is or what, and somehow I still am not moving anywhere. My opponent disappears over the horizon.

Eventually the race ends and I discover I managed to complete three per cent of the track, which I think is pretty good for a first attempt! Then I return to my garage and realise what pink slips means. Not sure I can do much with my remaining $10, but I guess that’s why they invented saves and new games. \_o_/

I hit “Time to quit”. Save game? Forget it.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Hahaha

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 50 – November 2020: Street Rod First time players impressions