Floppy vs CD-ROM

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

So there’s two versions of this game. The original floppy version was released in 1993. There’s also a later CD-ROM release which supports full voice acting.

I’ve tried both tonight and the voice acting isn’t bad, but what is a bit sad is that the CD-ROM version seems to lack the subtitles that are in the original game.

A really odd decision if you ask me. So it seems you can either have text or voice, but not both. Just something to be aware of when playing the original DOS version!

dr_st
    Participant

That is true. When I played the DOS CD version, it was localized, so I had the full English voice-over and Hebrew subtitles. Worked quite well if you ask me!

The CD version of Simon 2, BTW, does have both audio and subtitles, in the English version too.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Ah, it’s nice at least versions exist that don’t really have this issue.

I find it especially baffling because they already had the text from the floppy version! Why remove it?

pushblock
    Participant

I noticed that too!
    However, ScummVM allows having both text and speech, which is great for me since English is not my first language 🙂

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Ah yeah, ScummVM might be the way to go then.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Not if you play with the CD version. I tried 😉
    No subtitles whatsoever. Maybe the 25th anniversary version allows both?

pushblock
    Participant

I don’t have the 25th anniversary one, but I do have the Spanish CD version (from GOG, bought it before the 25th anniversary, I believe it’s the “legacy version” now.)

I’m not using the GOG launcher though, I just added it to ScummVM from the GOG bundle.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m playing the CD version on hardware. I can’t say the lack of subtitles bothers me too much. Maybe I’m just used to hearing british accents, but I don’t find anybody hard to understand at all.
    Simon himself seems to be the best actor, but it’s clear he wasn’t given enough direction or context. Some characters just sound bored, and others… well, they get an A for effort at least!

dr_st
    Participant

AFAIR, it’s impossible to have English/German voice + subtitles in the original releases. But other localized versions have subtitles.

dollarone
    Participant
    Podcaster

on their store there are two different versions. anyone know what the difference between them are?

dr_st
    Participant

I think floppy version is subtitles and CD-ROM is the talkie version?

dollarone
    Participant
    Podcaster

yeah, but in their store there’s the win 95 and the win xp version? I assumed they were both on CD?

dr_st
    Participant

Ah, yes, I missed the context of the question.

I think the Me/2000/XP version is just a patched version to make it compatible with these newer operating systems, but you are probably correct that both are the CD-ROM versions.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.