Game version

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• dollarone
    Participant
    Podcaster

Hello!

I apparently have the System Shock: Classic edition on steam. However it’s over a gig – is this a good version to play or does it differ massively from the original?

evilcommiedictator
    Participant
    Podcaster

If you have it on Steam or GOG, you should have the Enhanced Edition, which includes “Classic”, that would explain the size, given the original was on floppies! (There was a later CD release with digitized sound)

The main difference is that with the Enhanced Edition, you’ll have easier WASD and mouselook controls, the original was a bit finnicky with looking around, if you’re familiar with Ultima Underworld it’s essentially the same problems with looking around, and given that this is an RPG shooter, looking around is kinda useful!

You’ll also get higher resolutions on Enhanced, as well as remappable keys.

Canageek
    Participant

The game devs did a stream a few years ago, in which they encouraged people to use mouselook if they want to play it.

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

Most definitely play the Enhanced Edition. The old style controls are quite janky and the game is quite more enjoyable with the “modern” experience.

evilcommiedictator
    Participant
    Podcaster

Dollarone, if you haven’t done so yourself, I did a very quick difference on twitch just to show the difference.

I think you could get used to the keyboard controls after playing with them for 10 minutes, but of course in this day and age we’re much more used to turning around with the mouse rather than keys

dollarone
    Participant
    Podcaster

thanks, will have a look!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.