How to survive in this crazy world

Home Forums Previous Months 07 – August 2017: Quest for Glory How to survive in this crazy world

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

So, if you’ve played QfG, even it was just a little bit, you’ve probably found out the game is actually quite brutal. I thought it would be good to give first-time adventurers some hints, without spoiling too much.

1. SAVE OFTEN
    This can’t be said enough 😀 Just like any other Sierra adventure game, Quest for Glory has A LOT of death screens. You’ll likely die at least once in every single location. So save as often as you can, really. Even if you’ve only crossed one or two screens, it’s worth to save your game real quick. You can press F5 to go to the save screen directly.

2. RUN AWAY
    In the town of Spielburg (where you start the game) you are relatively safe, but once you start venturing out into the woods, baddies can come at you from all sides. One good strategy (especially in the beginning) to avoid getting killed is by simply running away. It’s maybe a good idea to run by default as you move through the forest. Not only do you go faster, allowing you to outrun your opponents, but it also builds up stats (vitaly I think). Don’t run out of stamina points though, especially not in the VGA version!

If you do get stuck in a fight you can’t win, you can still run away. In the EGA version you type “escape”, in the VGA version you first click in the middle of the area where the buttons are, then the bottom left button to start running.

3. SLEEP
    The game features a day/night cycle which requires you to sleep at one point. Since you can’t sleep during the day, it’s a good idea to sleep during the night. Make sure you pick a safe spot though. You might not want to sleep in the middle of the forest or the middle of the street. There are quite a few places to be found where you can have a good night’s rest though, so look out for those.

Apart from sleeping all night, you can also take short naps. They are quite helpful, as they will refill your stats. You can’t take too many of them, but I do recommend taking all the naps the game allows you to take!

4. EAT
    Also featured in this highly realistic simulation is the feeling of hunger, which can be battled by eating things that are good for you. The town offers a few places where you can get a meal and it’s a good idea to stock up some food to take with you on your adventures, as you might not always find yourself back in Spielburg when your tummy starts to rumble. If you get some rations, you will automatically eat them when you’re hungry, so that’s quite effortless. Other kinds of food you will eat manually.

5. BUY POTIONS / HAVE MONEY
    When ever you are in a tight spot, it’s good to have some potions to help you out. There are several places around town where you can buy them. They are however quite expensive, so you’ll have to find ways to make some dough. This is probably a good thing to focus on first, before you take on more ambitious quests. There are quite a few ways to make a lot of money once, and there are also quite a few ways to make a little money indefinitely. It’s a good idea to spend your first few days figuring this out and getting some kind of cash flow going, so you can stock up on some potions. Once you’re well equipped, surviving the harsh surroundings of Spielburg will be much more doable!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Another thing I just remembered that really helps: draw a map of the world as you explore it! It’s really useful later on to be able to travel in an efficient way. It’s also useful to know where to go when you’re in danger and need a safe spot to come to your senses.

And let’s be honest, it’s also loads of fun to draw maps on paper 😀

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

And if you’re a magic user (or have magic abilities) it’s highly advisable to invest in some spells early on. They are your main way to solve problems. Without them you might as well be a filthy non-magic user! 😀

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

I can’t emphasize enough the point about running by default as you move through the forest. All those nasty things out there…

dollarone
    Participant
    Podcaster

Thanks for these tips- really useful. I kinda like that you just write “run” to make the character run in the EGA version – feels like I’m telling him what to do:)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 07 – August 2017: Quest for Glory How to survive in this crazy world