ipxgw – How to connect real IPX network with DOSBox

Home Forums Support ipxgw – How to connect real IPX network with DOSBox

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• zouppen
    Participant

Me and jsalin have written “ipxgw” which acts as a gateway between real IPX network and DOSBox clients. It tunnels IPX traffic to UDP and back.

https://github.com/zouppen/ipxgw

It has been tested with DOOM and Death Rally but should work with any IPX application. Depending on your IPX stack you may need to add “-r” command-line switch to use Novell’s raw IPX stack instead of LLC encapsulation.

Also, I have successfully used SSH tap tunnels and bridging to connect multiple vintage computers to the same Ethernet broadcast domain. Ipxgw and layer 2 tunneling can be combined; players on real hardware can be tunneled and DOSBox users can join the same game via ipxgw.

Fight the loneliness with this one 🙂

moravec
    Participant

This is really cool – I was looking for something like that, since I want to make a real Lan-Party with some 486 with Doom.
    So thanks for this!

I have another question: Doom Multiplayer in the version I have in limited to 4 Players; is there a way to get around that limitation, and can you play Doom in real Dos with more than 4 Players?

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

No, Doom was always limited to 4 players, RoTT could do 11, and Duke 3D could do 8, I think.

moravec
    Participant

… I just discoverd on Doomworld that there is a source port that hosts up to 32 players in Doom original Dos, called Doom Legacy 1.41

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Support ipxgw – How to connect real IPX network with DOSBox