Jazz Jackrabbit version differences

Home Forums Previous Months 83 – August 2023: Jazz Jackrabbit Jazz Jackrabbit version differences

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• LunarLoony
    Participant
    Podcaster

Like any game, Jazz has seen its fair share of patches and different game versions, which “in theory” are supposed to fix bugs and make for a more playable experience.

However, it turns out that until relatively recently, there was no single version of Jazz that you could play without there being at least one unbeatable level… according to this fantastic resource from SimonNaar.
    It goes through the various different released versions of the game and documents the flaws and fixes in each one.

Happily, the GOG version of the game got its own patch at some point, which according to the site looks to have solved all of the issues. But if you have a physical copy, it may be worth checking here to see if you can actually finish the game.

I recall trying to play through a few years ago, and getting hopelessly stuck on Orbitus Level 2. Deeply frustrating, even if you cheat and give yourself a hoverboard!

dr_st
    Participant

Wow, that’s a very deep rundown. I had no idea. My version is the CD 1.2, and I remember completing it without cheats. Maybe I lucked out or did lots of grinding on the ‘too hard’ levels, and the Marbelara secret bug, I would not have even realized I have – I would have just failed the level and assumed I missed a way to beat it.

Thanks for bringing it up. I realized only now that I did not have the Jazz/Jazz2 in my GOG library, so I bought them this instant. Great timing too, as both are on sale!

Jozxyqk
    Participant

Last time I checked, gus support did not work on the gog version. Which is fairly annoying, since the gus audio is reported to be the highest quality option.

Gravis paying for in-game advertising for their gamepad is, of course, a complete coincidence.

dr_st
    Participant

The GOG version of Jazz uses DOSBox. You can always tweak the settings or simply copy the game files over to your own custom DOSBox installation and tinker with it until you get GUS to work. I doubt there is something in the game files that breaks it.

Jozxyqk
    Participant

Unfortunately, the problem is confirmed to be with gog’s game files, not dosbox.

I’ve checked with a dosbox install where gus works with jazz from an, ahem, alternative source but does not with the gog version.

Edit: there’s a new version on gog that has it fixed (or, alternatively, it was never broken in the first place and I had borked my previous installation).

dr_st
    Participant

Interesting… I should investigate it myself now that I got the GOG version alongside my “alternative source” copy.

Edit: I just tried, and with GUS=TRUE in the DOSBox configuration file, and ULTRADIR pointing to the appropriate patch directory, I get music and sound with the GUS option, both in my own DOSBox collection, and in the GOG version I just installed.

It sounds the same as the Soundblaster option, though, which is what I would expect, really, given that the music is tracker (PSM) and not MIDI.

What am I missing?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 83 – August 2023: Jazz Jackrabbit Jazz Jackrabbit version differences