Little Big Adventure [1994]

Home Forums Game Suggestions Accepted Suggestions Little Big Adventure [1994]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• sorceress
    Participant

Who remembers this one?

I was gifted this game shortly after I got my first PC, so it might have been the first full version (not shareware/demo) PC game that I owned.

I had all but forgotten about it until a year ago, when Tijn mentioned it to me on IRC, before dosgameclub was even a thing. This prompted me to dredge up some memories and eventually to take another look at the game.

It had been over 15 years since I had played it, but there were a few things which still stood out strongly in my memory:

– The music being lovely. One of the best soundtracks I’ve heard in a game.

– The controls felt clumsy, which was especially frustrating when trying to move around in a dangerous place, or racing to complete a time-sensitive task.

– The graphics being charming. The design of the different characters and the shapes of the buildings and environment were all delightful.

– The maps being confusing. At the time I felt like there were too many places to go, and I didn’t know where I should be going. This feeling seemed to get worse as the game went on.

It was actually this lack of progress, and finding one area too frustrating to pass (the desert island), that I abandoned it. In retrospect I had only completed about 1/4 of the game.

Meanwhile, our friend rnlf acquired his own a boxed copy of the game, and made a few gameplay videos of it, on youtube, albeit without getting much further than I did.

It would be nice to return to this game again, as I’m sure others will have some fond (and not so fond) memories of it. 🙂

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

> Meanwhile, our friend rnlf acquired his own a boxed copy of the game, and made a few gameplay videos of it, on youtube, albeit without getting much further than I did.

You’re trying everything to make me continue the playthrough, amirite?

Corgibuttz
    Participant
    Podcaster

I love this game! I played it in the USA under the banner “Relentless: Twinson’s Adventure”

I got this game when I was in 7th grade after reading a review for it in PC Gamer I think. I remember thinking how unique it looked and it really pulled me in. The nature of the open world after you can start traveling between islands, the colorful world w/ crazy characters. Elephant people, rabbit/mouse people, all living in a seemingly contemporary world… but w/ magic teleporting robots.

This one holds a real special place in my heart.

Shattered
    Participant
    Podcaster

Great suggestion! I would replay through 1 and 2 in a heartbeat.

Philippe Vachey’s score is amazing. I have this soundtrack in my regular playlist and “Song of Gabriel” never fails to make my heart flutter.

Shattered
    Participant
    Podcaster

I didn’t even realize they made an iOS port and Steam enhanced edition which remove the frustrating tank controls. I would probably suggest to new players to use one of these to experience the game and music without the extremely frustrating isometric platforming. You basically tap or click where you want Twisen to go and he goes there himself. Not the true DOS experience, but read GOG reviews of the game if you want to see how frustrated new players can get with the original controls.
    Steam Enhanced Edition
    I also was sad to learn I missed a kickstarter campaign for the composer to release a new symphony recording of the soundtrack. Luckily it passed and you can still order a recording.
    Symphony Recording

f2bnp
    Participant

I love the LBA games, although I have to confess I think the original has aged rather poorly, especially compared to the 2nd game which I still feel is a fantastic game.

The mobile port Shattered is referring to also supports gamepad controls which play very nicely. The touchscreen controls on PC with a mouse are…pretty bad IMO.

Shattered
    Participant
    Podcaster

Phillipe Vachey has been releasing new LBA music! This is amazing!!!!

LBA Symphonic Suite (Youtube)

Piano collection (Spotify)

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

We’re playing this right now 🙂 Moving to “accepted games”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Accepted Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Home Forums Game Suggestions Accepted Suggestions Little Big Adventure [1994]