Lode Runner

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I think it’s cool if we have a thread per game, so I’m making those. If you have thoughts on Lode Runner, share them in here!

This is a game I’ve actually played quite a bit already, so I can share my initial thoughts. I absolutely adore this game. It really holds up remarkably well, despite it’s extreme age and dated game design. I love how you’re thrown straight into the action with this game and every level offers its own unique challenge. It plays like an action game, but it’s really a puzzle game too. Super clever, great stuff 🙂

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

I played a lot of this game as a kid, though a different version: I had Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, IIRC, which apparently had very similar gameplay (leading to a 2/5 star review!), but much better graphics and music. So I’m looking forward to checking out its origins in this (rather basic-looking) version.

I remember being captivated by the graphics and SFX (cue sounds of bomb fuses burning, and monks gobbling flesh!), but also loving the game style. I think Tijn makes a good point about the puzzle game masquerading as an action game; the blend of genres makes it a lot of fun 🙂

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I have no idea where monks and bomb fuses come into this but I haven’t read the backstory yet if there is one. I thought I’d take each game one at a time so I’ve spent a good while on Lode Runner this weekend. It seems really simplistic at first but the depth to each level trying to figure out some of the tricks you have to pull off to reach everything without getting trapped is surprising. I’ve spent a good number of hours on it and have only made it through the first 40 out of the 150 levels so far. Progress is getting quicker but there is an absolute ton of gameplay in that 40k of code.

It’s not a game I can spend ages on at once, I’m getting a bit fed up after 5-10 levels but being able to pick up at any level you like it is great for short blasts. The enemy movement is a bit odd and you have to try to figure out it’s quirks to beat a lot of these levels. E.g. if you are on a ladder underneath an enemy they will keep climbing away from you for some reason. My only complaint is the controls can be hit and miss on the ladders so I don’t quite time it right and keep on running instead of climbing. It’s a really great game for the the early 80’s anyway. I could probably play this one on it’s own for most of the month but I’d better try some of the other games as well.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah, the fact you can play levels freely is really quite modern. It’s a very impressive game, this one!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.