Looking forward to this!

Home Forums Previous Months 54 – February 2021: Day of the Tentacle Looking forward to this!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• dr_st
    Participant

Nice game! I have never been an adventure game player, but recently I discovered the Remastered / Special Editions of the first two Monkey Island games and of DoTT, and played through them. Very fun!

*MINOR SPOILER BELOW*
    *MINOR SPOILER BELOW*
    *MINOR SPOILER BELOW*

In DoTT, it took me some time to realize that you don’t actually have to walk all the way back to the chrono-johns to transport items between the friends, and that simply clicking on the avatar is sufficient. Should have read the manual better!

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

One of my all-time favourites. Really looking forward to playing it again, haha. Since it contains Maniac Mansion 1, I hope to find the time and patience to complete that for the first time, too!

Mike
    Participant
    Podcaster

Really excited for this month. DotT is one of my favorite adventure games but I’ve never played through the remastered version with the commmentary mode on so that will be fun.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I’m with you, rnlf. DoTT has been a long-time favourite of mine, but despite trying several times, I’ve never actually completed the original Maniac Mansion.

I’ll try to fix that!

dollarone
    Participant
    Podcaster

I played through the remastered version a couple of years ago, so I’ll do the original this time. Maybe I’ll do like Tijn and try to finish Maniac Mansion for the first time as well!

Srandista
    Participant
    Podcaster

Ok guys, for this, please count me in. Such a nostalgic memories, and also I do think, that I can add something regarding this game in podcast.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Cool!

f2bnp
    Participant

One of my favorites, looking forward to replaying it 🙂

Rambutaan
    Participant

Looking forward to this episode too. Day of the Tentacle is one of my favourite games of all time, probably in my top 10. I’m planning to send a recorded message for the episode – do we just send it via email?

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

Hi Rambutaan,

Yes, you can send a link or the message to us at club@dosgameclub.com

f2bnp
    Participant

I was stuck at home for the last couple of days due to a blizzard, so no real work besides some tech support over the phone, which meant that my Tuesday morning was all about finishing Day of the Tentacle, which I started on Friday, while enjoying my morning cup of tea. That was a blast!

A few weeks ago I got the parts to build my very first 386 system and as such felt compelled to play my original floppy version of the game on this system. I then installed the remastered version on my main PC to get through the commentary which was really cool to hear, although I wish there was a lot more of it.

I think DOTT is the connecting link between the old style of Lucas’ adventure games where games were made without voice acting (or that was added later as is the case with Loom and Indy4) and were played in silence for the most part (although MI2 and I believe Indy4 both had iMuse, can’t recall if music was played constantly) and the later games which started going exclusively CD-ROM with much higher budgets, full voice acting and animated cutscenes that had to be compressed, pre-rendered 3D etc.
    I find this very interesting, it’s that exact point in time where Brian Moriarty gives up on The Dig, a troubled project torn between this conflict of old and new, and leaves Lucasarts. The fact that this game came out at all is astounding to be honest.

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah, that’s a good point, about DOTT bridging the gap between the old and new Lucas. It’s also around this time that the name changed from Lucasfilm Games to LucasArts.

I think DOTT is pretty much an old-style Lucas game in spirit. In the commentary that’s in the remastered edition they mention it wasn’t originally going to be voiced, this was only decided on later, so it wasn’t written with voice acting in mind. Tim Schafer also says it’s the last game they made at Lucas that he really enjoyed working on ;(

f2bnp
    Participant

Yes, the connecting dot (pun intended) if you will!

As for Tim Schafer, I also picked up on that particular commentary line and it left me thinking. I guess the “innocence” was lost from that point forward. I think there’s a lot to unpack here, game budgets began to increase dramatically, teams began encompassing more people and projects came under a lot more scrutiny as a result. Lucasarts’ old motto of “don’t lose us any money” no longer applied I suspect. Then later on, adventure games started to underperform in sales relative to their budgets, Tim went on to create his own studio which came with its own set of headaches (and stress I’m sure) when their freshman release had a deeply dev cycle and also underperformed in the market despite being a masterpiece etc

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 54 – February 2021: Day of the Tentacle Looking forward to this!