Magazine Reviews

Home Forums Previous Months 66 – March 2022: Quake Magazine Reviews

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

Quake has to about the easiest game possible to find reviews of so I’ve a ton for you all this month. Starting with a couple of previews of the shareware version:-

And these are the full reviews:-

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Wow, nice work Richard! Is this a new record for number of reviews?
    I also think that last one from PCZone may just be the longest single review!

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

It probably is a record. There were loads for Lost Eden last year but nothing as lengthy as these.

Only just read through them all myself. It certainly brings home the level of hype over Quake at the time. I didn’t really get it myself back then. It essentially looked worse and had less variety than the 2.5D games like Duke, especially on a 486.

I only really got into Quake years later via Deathmatch Classic which was a Half-Life mod to essentially convert it back into Quake. I spent about a year playing little else, got to be one of the best players and even wrote a mod to add new modes and make it more Quake-like. I graduated to QuakeWorld around the same time I was doing that mod – the standard of play was ridiculously high as all the people still playing it were veterans but it’s easily the most fun I’ve had in multiplayer. That’s definitely where it shines.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Wow, I had no idea you were such a seasoned veteran of this game, pix!

My first impression at the time was about the same as yours. I was playing a lot of Duke3D, and by comparison Quake just looked brown and bland. I was also an insufferable teenage so-and-so that thought anything that was hyped or popular couldn’t be good. Add to that the fact that I didn’t have a machine powerful enough to play Quake, and it ended up totally passing me by.
    I don’t think I’ve played more than about 5 minutes of Quake in my life – something I’m looking forward to remedying this month!

Jozxyqk
    Participant

Interestingly, for me quake lies at the border of what I’d consider dos gaming. I don’t quite recall whether I played it in dos or windows back then. However, this game, together with the windows exclusive wing commander prophecy was the reason my brother and I acquired a voodoo1.

Since, according to the internet (so it must be true ~_^), the version with 3dfx support was windows exclusive I must conclude that I played it in windows, but I have no actual recollection of whether I started windows to play it or not.

As for the game itself: I was firmly in the Quake camp, more thanks to its atmosphere than its technical prowess. My friends greatly preferred duke3d and rott. My biggest problem with the game was the nearly Lost Eden level bummer of an end boss. An empty egg, figuratively speaking, if there ever was one in an fps.

Still, looking forward to replaying Quake seriously for the first time since I finished it on our Pentium 90 with voodoo1 card. I still have the original CD from back when that was an effective copy protection measure. I’ll be using the darkplaces engine, and see if my openpandora can handle rygel’s texture packs.

ashley_au
    Participant

fantastic! has inspired me to find some of my mags!

thanks 😉

<edit>

found a few magazine reviews from 1995 including PC Gamer (Imagine) from October ’95. review features several images which must have been part of the press kit as they reappear in other contemporary reviews.

notable is the inclusion of the flying dragon in screen shots which was eventually omitted.

here’s the cover, will scan the content in the office tomorrow 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 66 – March 2022: Quake Magazine Reviews