Magazine Reviews

Home Forums Previous Months 75 – December 2022: Albion Magazine Reviews

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

Albion’s a game that I’ve heard good things about from other Ultima fans but didn’t know existed prior to that. I’ve never played it, hardly know anything about it and more alarmingly don’t own the big box (yet).

My magazine of choice apparently didn’t bother to review it back then which partly explains my ignorance but I did find a couple of middling reviews elsewhere for this month:-

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

It’s always interesting to read opinions on pixel art from the latter half of the 90s, haha!

In retrospect, lovingly hand-painted graphics like these have aged WAY better than early 3D. This game looks absolutely gorgeous.

But if your game didn’t look like a bunch of crudely painted cardboard boxes glued together, then expect to be dragged over coals by late 90s reviewers.

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

In the magazine I was following back in the days, Albion got a whopping 10/10. https://www.oldgames.sk/mag/score-30/page/29/ This was quite a rare sight back then.

pointer
    Participant

yozy> I remember that Score review, it praised Albion to high heavens.

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m interested that PC Gamer called out the translation as being poor! I can identify a few awkward points in it, but the game has an absolute mountain of text and I really haven’t found all that many places that bother me.

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

The first time I played the game was when it was released with Czech translation in the aforementioned Score magazine. The translation was okay, however, back then localisation wasn’t really advanced. Strings were substituted as-is, without correct inflection nor conjugation.

IS4
    Participant

Yeah, the Czech translation could have been better, but without it, I would have likely skipped over the game as a child completely! The translators did make a few mistakes here and there, and they didn’t take the game’s system of pronoun inflection to its full potential, but I didn’t mind that back in the day. (Still I cannot forgive them mistaking “prosthesis” with “prostate”)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 75 – December 2022: Albion Magazine Reviews