Magazine Reviews

Home Forums Previous Months 93 – June 2024: M.D.K. Magazine Reviews

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

Here’s the reviews I could dig up for this month. This is another game I bought at the time. MDK was a big deal back then, very impressive technically. The first game I can recall with a zooming sniper rifle and it’s really inventive throughout. No other game with a 3D environment did so much at the time. Don’t know how well it holds up these days. I do recall being quite disappointed at how short it was at the time though. 6 levels, pretty sure I finished it within a few hours.

There was a music video as a reward for beating the game. I remember reading about this getting removed in rereleases for copyright reasons. No idea what the state of GOG/Steam is but it’s something to be aware of if you want the full experience.

sorceress
    Participant

thanks for your magazine search, as always pix 🙂

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

In relation to the magazines, they ran a lot of ads to explain what mdk meant, such as ‘mounties demand kangar8oa’, if someone has a few of these, it’s worth showing how much this was advertised.

Martli
    Participant

Interesting, the articles mention not being able to save until the end of the level, but the gog version I’m playing lets you save any time. Was this feature added while the game was still contemporary, or is it just for the gog release?

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

This was later patched in ‘F2 to save’, by itself and in all the 3D patches, I think.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

My big box special edition also has the ‘F2 to save’ on DOS. So it was definitely added at some point to the release version.

watchful
    Participant

I recall a cameo of the game in an X-Files episode too.

Anyways, much thanks for everyone mentioning F2 to save. I’ll have to try that next time.

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

According to this page, the X-Files episode in question:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751199/

Features: MDK.

Katsumoto
    Participant

Hey gang (yes, I’m still here – just being a massive lurker). I don’t have a proper scanner, nor am I particularly good at HTML, but I have uploaded some pretty horrible scans from PC Gamer UK March 1997 onto Mastodon (you will probably need to open the images full screen for them to be legible).

Interview with Dave Perry: https://dosgame.club/@Katsumoto/112619829926185079

Review:
    https://dosgame.club/@Katsumoto/112619859284298378

I think calling this review “mildly hyperbolic” is being generous (“a work of genius”?), but I’ve definitely had some amount of fun revisiting this one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 93 – June 2024: M.D.K. Magazine Reviews