Magazine Scans

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

Here’s the usual batch of all the UK magazine reviews I can find. There were 4 this time:-

PC Zone

PC Format

PC Home

PC Answers

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

“Wargames used to be about as much fun as putting your underwear between two flowery baps, slapping on some mustard and scoffing the lot”. My god, I miss these magazines 😀 Are these from your own collection, or are you looking at some online archive for them? There must still be a large box of them at my parents’ house, I wonder if they have any that haven’t been made available yet…

It’s interesting how Chris Anderson in PC Zone spends two pages absolutely lambasting it and then awards it an 82 – spending most of the review talking about the presentation rather than any of the gameplay! Although that’s something that I’d meant to mention as a reason I remember this game so well – the narrator with his veins audibly popping out of his forehead at the sheer determination with which he’s doing his “English” accent.

dr_st
    Participant

English accent? The Orcish accent for the Orc campaign is even better. 😛

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

They are from my collection. I rescued a box of my old magazines from my parents a few years back but most of them are from a small van full I got cheap off a guy on Ebay. For some reason UK PC magazines seem to be neglected by most of the scanning sites. The consoles get well represented but there doesn’t appear to be much love for PC gaming. I’ve been working on scanning in PC Zone for some years myself to plug this gap a bit. There’s an archive of everything so far at http://www.pixsoriginadventures.co.uk/PCZone. I’m adding one a week with a view to finishing off the early issues which I’m not missing before the end of the year.

Bit of a long shot but if you happen to have any of the issues I’ve not got at your parents and wanted to help out it would be much appreciated.

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

What an amazing collection – I’m going to enjoy reading through these again! I’m pretty sure I have some more early issues of PC Zone, though my parents’ house is 3000 miles away from my current location 🙂 I’ll have to remember the next time they take a journey over to us.

sorceress
    Participant

The only PC magazines I had were thrown away long ago. At the time, they were not something I felt were worth keeping. Nice to see that some people have treasured theirs 🙂

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Yeah. I love clicking through old magazine scans. Mostly for hardware related stuff, but especially for our DGC games it’s also fun to find stuff about them.

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

I found something I really loved in Pix’s first issue of PC Zone – the concept of Dune 2 was so new that they had no idea what genre the game even was, leading them to call it something like Sim City with shooting.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

That’s great and strangely accurate. I suppose it takes one really successful game spawning a load of copies to create a genre and it didn’t happen until Dune 2 came along.

One of the first games I ever played on PC was The Ancient Art Of War which I’d consider an RTS and that came out in 1985. You couldn’t build anything in that one though so were stuck with your starting units. It would be a fun series to cover one month (not that there is any shortage)

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

“Sim City with shooting” haha that’s amazing

Mgoddard
    Participant
    Podcaster

@Pix I haven’t though about The Ancient Art Of War in a long time. Thanks for the memory jog!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.