Memories from the era

Home Forums Previous Months 35 – December 2019: Ultima VII Memories from the era

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

I had this game since our first 486 PC, as it game on a EA-disc that was included in the SB16 & CD-ROM package.

I never played it really. Ultima Underworld from that same CD saw more time.

The initial issue was that I didn’t have enough conventional memory to play the game. I made a boot disc and everything, but I still didn’t have enough memory to play with audio.
    Looking at the wiki, says it ran in ‘unreal mode’:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_mode

I remember that it had its own memory manager, which is why it was questionable. I don’t think it even ran using QEMM.

Then I played it a bit, but I noticed that I was able to do anything and pick up so many useless objects, that, well, it overwhelmed me.

Fast forward to about ~2000, exult came out (it is/was an exe-wrapper to avoid these horrible memory issues). I did download it, but didn’t play it. Still haven’t played it longer than ten minutes. Maybe this time?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 35 – December 2019: Ultima VII Memories from the era