Modem gaming over the internet

Home Forums Support Modem gaming over the internet

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• void
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if it’s possible to play a DOS game over the internet using DOSBox.
    The game is called Lords of the Realm and it has a “Set up a modem conquest” where you have to set COM Ports, a dial-up number, etc.

I’ll post some screenshots of the game where configuration windows can be seen.

Thanks in advance!

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

It is possible with DOSBox, but you’ll need a public IPv4 address and need to be able to open ports on one end of the connection.

Can you do that? Then I can help :-p

void
    Participant

Yes, should I do port filtering or port forwarding? And which kind of protocol should the port use?

Thanks!

voxel
    Participant

Hi Void, check out https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Connectivity for a small guide on how to do this (skip ahead to the Serial/Modem section). Note that both players need to change your dosbox.conf to enable a modem, or from the dosbox prompt type ‘serial1 modem’ or similar. Use port forwarding on the host machine’s router to forward a port (I recommend 5000, supposedly the dosbox default, though in my experience it tries to use 23) and make sure it’s forwarded to the host machine. The client player can then ‘dial’ the host by using the hosts’ public IP address as the phone number!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Support Modem gaming over the internet