Multiplayer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

HOMM supports multiplayer over IPX networking. Since DOSBox has a feature which allows routing IPX-over-IP, this means we can actually play over the internet!

So, who’s up for a game?

And when? Because of HOMM’s turn-based nature, a game might take a good while. But the good news is that we can save our game and resume later 🙂

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I’m so in! In fact, we can have multiple games on hold at the same time, so we don’t have to wait for one game to be finished before starting the next one with other people 🙂

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Oh yeah, that’s a good point! I don’t think we can easily add/remove players later though, so we can’t just start a game on a whim.

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

Oooh count me in! 😀

dr_st
    Participant

I never tried it over LAN, only “Hot seat”. It’s easier to set up, and you don’t have the element of uncertainty “when is that guy going to finish up his turn???”, but you lose some of the mystery, as all human players know what all other human players are up to.

Come to think of it, last time I played Heroes multiplayer was with my lovely wife. We would make a pact not to attach each other until all AI enemies are beaten. Interestingly she enjoyed the first game more than the second one, where she did not appreciate the extra complexity.

DavidN
    Participant
    Podcaster

Haha, that’s great, dr_st 🙂

As much as I’d like to participate, I can only play in couple-of-hour bursts occasionally and would drag the whole thing along. I’m interested to hear what the experience is like!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

So rnlf and I played a multiplayer game yesterday. We had planned for more people to join, but we soon learned… HOMM only supports 2 people playing over IPX 🙁 😀

It went quite well: no real technical issues and I won the game, haha. It took ages though. Even on the smallest map, we easily burnt through the entire evening like it was nothing.

Now apparently HOMM does support 4 people in hot seat mode. Maybe we can set up a VM which we can get into using VNC, like we did with Scorched Earth. The cool benefit of this would be that we could stream that game to Twitch. That could be fun!

toasty
    Participant
    Podcaster

Kdrnic is also keen to play, though will only be able to at a weekend.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.