Multiplayer

Home Forums Previous Months 47 – August 2020: Z Multiplayer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

So, who’s up for a game of multiplayer? Does anyone have an idea how this even works? How many players can the game handle?

There’s an open source re reimplementation of the game too: http://zod.sourceforge.net/ – not sure how active it’s maintained or how stable that is though. It does say it’s focused on multiplayer however.

LocoMJ
    Participant

Max 4 players. You can play over IPX, serial or direct connection.

Maybe you can test two instances of DOSBox at the same time to test it.

f2bnp
    Participant

I’m interested, although I’ve never tried doing DOSBox multiplayer before. Perhaps the ZOD engine might prove easier to set up.

LocoMJ
    Participant

Updates!

I’ve just played with Shattered using IPX under DOSBox and although the gamae seems a little bit slower than single player, it’s perfectly playable.

We have used DOSBox-staging. You can download from here:
    https://github.com/dosbox-staging/dosbox-staging/releases/tag/v0.75.0

f2bnp
    Participant

Pretty cool! Do we have enough players to have a go at a mini tournament 😀 ?

Shattered
    Participant
    Podcaster

Listening to the Z episode and just wanted to mention LocoMJ and I actually did get a chance to try out multiplayer! It worked well over IPX but the game ran was a bit slower, I assume because we were thousands of miles apart from each other and each frame needed a packet. But it was definitely playable and fun! There seemed to be more room for devious strategies with being able to destroy the terrain and the ability to destroy the other’s base by sneaking in a lone soldier. 🙂 Anyways, great episode so far. I’m about half way through.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 47 – August 2020: Z Multiplayer