Own this but never finished it

Home Forums Previous Months 75 – December 2022: Albion Own this but never finished it

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• HunterZ
    Participant

Back in the early 2000s, my college roommate and I raided the bargain bin at a local shop and came away with a few interesting DOS/Win9x games. One of them was Albion.

I’ve attempted it a few times over the years but never managed to finish it. I like that it alternates between overhead and first-person perspectives, a bit like early Ultima or Phantasy Star games, but with VGA graphics and Wolfenstein 3D era first person rendering.

I think there are a few areas of friction that have kept me from completing the game:
    – suffers from the CRPG trope of throwing tons of useless items at you and forcing you to figure out which ones are worth picking up / buying
    – some of the level design is confusing, resulting in my wandering around in circles looking for where to go
    – suffers from the CRPG trope of cities being full of dialogue text, which adds flavor but saps my feeling of momentum

I definitely recommend it for fans of CRPGs though, as it’s unique.

A few technical/gameplay notes:
    – this is a late 32-bit DOS era game that came on CD-ROM and has digitized sounds and General MIDI / OPL music
    – some versions of DOSBox suffer from a reversed stereo issue with the digitized sounds. DOSBox-X works fine and can be launched from DOSBox Game Launcher. Not sure about the GOG version since I don’t own it there
    – like Betrayal at Krondor, the FoV in the 3D sections hasn’t aged well; also like B@K, Albion offers a map which can help provide a better idea of what the area is supposed to look like

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 75 – December 2022: Albion Own this but never finished it