Played through the shareware episode

Home Forums Previous Months 55 – March 2021: Rise of the Triad Played through the shareware episode

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• dr_st
    Participant

Played through it on Hard, but with mid-level saves (and quite a few retries on the last level, which is brutal with all the Triad Enforcers). Did not look for the secret level, and did not try the warp-only levels, though.

Overall my impression of the game is good for the time. Yes, it used an outdated engine for the time, but the engine was really pushed to its limits. The moving geometry, the GADs (gravitational anomaly discs) – all contribute to enriching the environments, and create some iconic rooms that give you a feel of freedom that is sorely lacking in the claustrophobic mazes characteristic of most Wolf3D engine games.

What impressed me most of all, now that I’ve learned a bit about RoTT – was the sheer amount of content the game had. 4 episodes in the registered version, a completely different (prequel) episode for the shareware, warp-only levels, tons of CommBat levels, deluxe editions, and the Extreme RoTT addon – they had more levels than all of id’s official Doom games put together!

The enemy roster is not as diverse as that of Doom II, but gets more impressive towards the end, and 4 different bosses. There is also an impressive amount of power-ups, weapons and secrets in the levels.

The infinite ammo for bullet-based weapons is a nice touch and is counter balanced well by the fact that you can only carry one special weapon at the time. You never feel weak and vulnerable due to lack of ammo, nor overpowered; use too much of the good stuff on easy targets, and you will find yourself hard pressed by the bullet sponges (learned it the hard way in the last level).

Alas, despite my overall good impression of the game, I don’t expect to find the level of perseverance needed to play through the full thing any time soon.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 55 – March 2021: Rise of the Triad Played through the shareware episode