Possible DOS installers episode?

Home Forums DOS Talk DOS Tech Club Special Episodes Possible DOS installers episode?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Psy
    Participant

A Special about installers could be something original and interesting to cover. Pretty sure by now you faced some nice ones in the show, and a little research and a poll in the forums can be enough to fill the gaps.

Thinking a bit, this is what I think might be covered:

* The purpose of the DOS installers (pretty similar of what an installer does today);
    * batch installers that pretty much copy the game into a folder (I remember some pretty elaborated ones);
    * the introduction of compression (lha, zip, arj), multidisc and fragmentation;
    * full and minimal install schemes (specially for CD-ROM);
    * how companies kind of normalized their installers (SSI installer, LucasArts installer, ID, Origin, Microprose);
    * some install authors (Arj author did some installers for SSI or Interplay, if I remember correctly);
    * installers acting as setup:
    autoexec/config configuration
    video setup
    sound setup
    dual sound setup
    controller setup and calibration
    video and sound tests;
    * patchers that actually change the code at binary level (I remember the Wing Commander one doing this?)
    * graphic mode installers (7th Guest, Mega-Race, Wing Commander III, are the ones I remember as interesting ones).

* Interesting cases:
    Wing Commander installer can convert the game art to EGA,
    Strike Commander’s and the generation of the fractal maps,
    I remember SSI installers that have an insane sound configuration,
    pretty sure we can find more examples.

What do you think?

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Interesting! It would be the one topic in the series I know absolutely nothing about, so that would rely solely on other people filling in the blanks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums DOS Talk DOS Tech Club Special Episodes Possible DOS installers episode?