QuakeWorld Multiplayer on DOS

Home Forums Previous Months 66 – March 2022: Quake QuakeWorld Multiplayer on DOS

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• watchful
    Participant

Looks like Neozeed and friends have ported QW to DOS.

Please let me know if anyone wants to try in March, or if there are other ways to multi-play over the Internets without resorting to a non-DOS source port.

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

There will definitely be a tournament. I’ve set up a QuakeWorld server. If you want to join through a DOS client, that’s double cool, but expect everyone else to use a modern source port 😉

The server is up, at least for the rest of the month on dosgameclub.com:28501.

Not much going on there, yet, and we probably need to do some configuration, still, but it’s a start.

Best check IRC for other people to join.

f2bnp
    Participant

Can’t wait to hear more about the tournament, count me in!

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Anything much happening on this server yet?

I would love to try and join on one of my real DOS machines, but I’m shockingly bad at network-y stuff. I’d probably be spending the rest of the month just trying to get it to work.

I’ll probably just use Darkplaces or Quakespasm instead…

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

We’re running a test session on Wednesday evening (March 9), we don’t know an exact time, yet. But I’d aim for ~9PM CET. The actual tournament will likely be on the weekend of the 19th.

f2bnp
    Participant

Unfortunately I’ll be away on Wednesday, but will definitely apply for the tourney 😛

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m going to try to be there for the test session, but since it’s pretty early for me I might not quite make it at 9PM! (7AM for me)

voxel
    Participant

The server is password protected, preventing players from joining!

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Password is dgc. Sorry, didn’t realize that finally worked.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

I’m trying to join the server as a spectator (because my lag is too bad to be a player), but I’m having some trouble. I’m a n00b with this stuff, and it seems to be weirdly hard to google, like everyone is expected to know all the details already and so it’s not posted anywhere.

Anyway, before trying to join the server I’ve used the console to set the password and my status to spectator thus:

rcon_password dgc
    setinfo spectator 1

But I still can’t join the server. It just says Trying to connect, then connect: failed.
    Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong? Does it just not work with the Darkplaces Engine?

Edit: I think rcon has to do with some master password for the server? Anyway, I’ve tried every conceivable combination of setinfo, password and dgc and still nothing.

voxel
    Participant

rnlf took the server offline for personal reasons

rnlf
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

rcon is what you need to admin the server remotely. The password is something else and I honestly don’t know how to set it in any client other than nquake.

I’ll set up a vkquake server on the weekend. That won’t be Quake World, but a port of the original Quake. I hope that will solve the client questions (because the original Quake clients are a lot dumber).

watchful
    Participant

What Quake ports/editions should we use to connect as clients?

I tried DarkSpaces and QuakeSpasm a few times but only got “Trying…”, though maybe the server wasn’t running?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 66 – March 2022: Quake QuakeWorld Multiplayer on DOS