Related Games

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Mike
    Participant
    Podcaster

It looks like Jill of the Jungle inspired some other games to be made. I’ve played Xargon, which was also by Epic and used the same engine and played very similar to Jill. Two I never heard of were Onesimus: A Quest for Freedom, a Christian-themed platformer that used the same engine and was developed at the same time, and Vinyl Goddesses from Mars. Wikipedia says it was originally supposed to be Jill 2 but the developers took it to another publisher.

According to that game’s page, “The game was created by Jason Struck and Mark Lewis, and was originally intended to be a sequel to Epic MegaGames’s Jill of the Jungle. However, Epic was not satisfied with the quality of the game, and decided to release Jazz Jackrabbit instead.”

Has anyone played any of these? I assume that the ones aside from Xargon also looked and felt very similar to Jill of the Jungle

iGonzalez
    Participant

This is interesting.I never played Vinyl Goddesses from Mars, it looks cool and quite obvious that it is a “next step” in Jill of the Jungle. It looks good, but if Epic had that game on one hand and Jazz Jackrabbit on the other one… well, it makes sense the got the rabbit one.

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

I hadn’t heard of Vinyl Goddess From Mars until you mentioned it but I played through it today. It’s more of a traditional platformer with moving platforms, fairly conventional weapons and no more transforming into creatures. Those latter two were some of my favourite parts of the original and made JOTJ a little different to the competition. The main character looks enough like Jill for it still to feel like a thinly disguised sequel.

It’s in 3 episodes again, and takes about the same time to play through so you can polish the whole game off in a couple of hours. The save anywhere aspect was dropped in favour of checkpoints. Every time you die, you go back to the last checkpoint but nothing respawns so it’s easy to get back where you were. If there was a limit to the number of lives I never ran into it. Everything moves smoothly this time around which is an improvement but it’s a very average platformer overall. It was fun enough while it lasts but in 1995 no competition for the likes of Jazz Jackrabbit.

dr_st
    Participant

Count me as one who has never played the Vinyl Goddess. I guess I should give it a try as well.

Does it have the same front-end menu to select each of the 3 episodes, like Jill and Xargon have?

Pix
    Participant
    Podcaster

More or less. It has the menu built in this time rather than being a launcher for the 3 different executables.

dr_st
    Participant

Yes, I just tried it now (played the first couple of levels). Even though the character looks somewhat like Jill, the level design feels more like Xargon. Movement is a bit more fluid, but I dislike the fact that it is no longer possible to throw the knives while crouching.

Evil Taco
    Participant

How do you throw knives while crouching in Jill actually? I couldn’t manage it.

dr_st
    Participant

Well, apparently you don’t, and that was a false memory of mine. 😛

evilcommiedictator
    Participant
    Podcaster

I didn’t know about Xargon, cool! Something to check out

Powpuck
    Participant

There’s Jill the Goddess, which is awful, crude and skeevey (ie, NSFW). It’s worth a laugh if you can stomach poorly drawn lady bits.

Powpuck
    Participant

I discovered another, much more competent, derivative: Last Knight in Camelot by Adventure Learningware. Well, besides its peculiar jumping physics it’s not strictly a clone as such.

There’s also the thematically similar Inner Worlds, which stars a scantly clad woman who can transform into animals. I suspect this one is worthy of a Game Club all its own…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.