Sequels and games it inspired

Home Forums Previous Months 76 – January 2023: B17 Flying Fortress Sequels and games it inspired

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• evilcommiedictator
    Participant
    Podcaster

Microprose made quite a few of these milsim games, where you’re managing the entire crew, and they returned in 2000 with B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th, essentially the same game, but with a quite steep learning curve, not just hitting “M” and flying!

It looks like the new Microprose have announced (well, put on Steam) that they’re looking to release another sequel, “B-17 Flying Fortress The Bloody 100th”, as well as a remaster of the 2000 release.

Probably worth mentioning here, Bomber Crew, which is an arcad-y/tablet style bomber management game (the game plane is a British Lancaster but you can buy DLC to get a B-17), you get all the chaos and multitasking of managing a airplane full of children who need to be told everything like B-17, but more shiny and with more ways to lose all your crew in a unfair and permadeath way.

Spoonboy
    Participant
    Podcaster

I played a lot of Mighty Eighth when it came out.
    It looking absolutely amazing, with graphics that I think still stand up today (and not even in a retro way!). It was certainly an upgrade to the original B17 experience.
    The new compartment view inside the aircraft with animated crew members was a bit clunky, but mostly an amazing game to look at.
    It was popular with the modding community, being quite easy to change things like aircraft skins.
    However, I remember it was quite demanding on my pc, which was quite well equipped at the time. And it was definitely buggy! Damage/injuries seemed to happen way too often, making missions almost unplayable at times, despite patching.
    Through the modding community again, I found an editable file that seemed to have variables for almost all mission parameters, that one could experiment with to help this.
    Even so, I found myself coming back to the original B17 for playability.
    The new batch of B17 games from Microprose look great!
    It’s good to know tthey are still interested in advancing this part of their brand.
    And ‘Bomber Crew’ also looks cool, I’ll definitely give that a try.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 76 – January 2023: B17 Flying Fortress Sequels and games it inspired