Ski or Die (1990, EA)

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games Ski or Die (1990, EA)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I just played some Ski or Die. It has a cool vibe and the graphics are pretty nice too. The game also plays pretty smoothly, so that’s nice. I get the impression the game is mainly aimed at local/hotseat multiplayer though, as I’m not sure there are AIs to compete against? So playing this on my own, I wasn’t really sure how well I was actually doing since there’s nothing to compare it against haha.

The ski jumping is pretty cool and I was actually managed to do some stunts and land successfully. The downhill skiing is more frustrating because the perspective is very weird. You view your character from the front, but if you press left he goes visually left, but it’s actually their right. I can’t cope with this sort of stuff haha.

The other minigams are fun too (snowball throwing anyone?) but they’re not on skis, so they don’t count.

Mike
    Participant
    Podcaster

Ok, I’m glad I wasn’t the only one frustrated by the downhill skiing. Is there a way to jump? Otherwise it seems like you’re just going to fail if you don’t go down the right path?

The ski jumping is definitely a lot more interesting.

But I’ve always had a hard time with this series. Even Skate or Die on the NES, which seemed to be a pretty big game, always felt like a mixed bag of minigames to me too.

Zagrebista
    Participant

You can definitely jump by pressing fire (on joystick anyway) but it seems your skier only does it when there’s a jumping opportunity (e.g. a ledge).

I managed to make it to the end of the downhill ski section (in practice mode, anyway) but the controls make it a bit of a slog.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

There’s a lot I like about this game. Well, OK, mainly the charm. This game is charming as heck. There’s a lot of creativity there in the types of events they went with, and each one has heaps of cheeky, whimsical touches.
    But yes, the controls in the downhill event in particular are absolute balls to get used to. I imagine when I get a feel for them it would be fine though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games Ski or Die (1990, EA)