Super Ski 3 (1994, Microids)

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games Super Ski 3 (1994, Microids)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

I just played some Super Ski 3, which I think is the same series as Downhill Challenge.

Man, this game has some intense camera work. The angles on turning are super sharp and there’s loads of parallax too. It’s kind of crazy haha.

It plays pretty well though! I managed to get some pretty good times on my attempts. I mainly did the regular downhill, as the slalom always confuses me, which I had quite a good time with!

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Out of all of the multi-event simulation games on my list, I have to say this one might be my least favourite so far. Probably a large part of that is that pre-rendered 3D sprites from this era almost never look good. They are at the same time too smooth and untextured, but still end up looking weirdly … crunchy? dirty? I dunno, but I think it’s from the compression. And then to me it feels like there are too few frames of animation for the size of the sprites, and it kind of moves too jerky.

But mostly I didn’t like the controls and the physics. A lot of the other games of this type really do a good effort of making you “feel” the snow and the landscape and the weight of your skier, but I really wasn’t getting much of that here. Also for some reason my copy defaulted to mouse control, which was HIDEOUS!

But take all that with a grain of salt. With so many games on my list, I really haven’t given this one enough time yet.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games Super Ski 3 (1994, Microids)