The Dreaded Microscope Puzzle

Home Forums Previous Months 33 – October 2019: The 7th Guest The Dreaded Microscope Puzzle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Pseudo_C
    Participant
    Podcaster

Hey guys. For all those that know this game, you are familiar with the microscope puzzle. This puzzle’s AI was based of of the CPU speed of computers at the time and therefore could only think about 2-3 moves ahead. But now, with the rapid advancement in tech, the AI can think way to far in advance making this puzzle nearly impossible to us mortal humans!

Have no fear however! There are two work arounds!

1) Use the book in the library 3 times and the puzzle will be skipped for you! This will however also skip the FMV you would receive for completing it… OR

2) Use this in browser program (http://analogbit.com/software/infection_ai/) to use another AI against the one in the game! The instructions are on the page so just follow along and destroy tech with tech! It may take a couple of tries due to the aforementioned CPU speed AI, but you will prevail!

dr_st
    Participant

Wouldn’t you be playing it in DOSBox emulating a slower CPU anyways?

Or maybe in ScummVM? I dunno how that would work.

Pseudo_C
    Participant
    Podcaster

To tell you the truth, I have no idea! Most threads in which this was brought up just mention the problem and then link to a program that can help. I will check my settings next time I run through it and see if I notice a difference.

As far as the ScummVM, one of the biggest complaints about the 25th anniversary edition is the the puzzle was not fixed, just made optional, so I am not sure what can be done in that case.

At any rate, thank you for the suggestion!

evilcommiedictator
    Participant
    Podcaster

I had to use that AI in my playthrough on the GOG 25th edition, and it lost 5 times in a row – I ended up using the book to skip it in the end, it was so frustrating.
    I’d be interested to figure out if there’s an advantage to starting second in the game, but regardless on my modern PC I was always struggling with the AI to maintain parity against Stauf.
    *insert grumble about always programming your AI to be bad in games where a player is supposed to beat you*

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 33 – October 2019: The 7th Guest The Dreaded Microscope Puzzle