The Dune Screenplay was written in MS-DOS

Home Forums DOS Talk The Dune Screenplay was written in MS-DOS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• trumad
    Participant

Link to article

Long time lurker, first time poster. I’m also on the upcoming Carmageddon episode. Feels weird to actually post on a forum for the first time in about 10 years.

I read this article and found it fascinating. I saw Dune a couple of days ago, and it’s so strange to think that the words those characters say, while they’re roaming around this spectacular CG world, were written on such ancient hardware and software.

yozy
    Participant
    Podcaster

When I first saw the headline I was thinking “duh, of course it was”.

But then I read it and realized that they are talking about the movie from 2020!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Hey thanks for the thread, this is interesting stuff!

Like yozy I figured this was about the original Dune film 😮

Psy
    Participant

Really interesting, and makes sense if you think about it, the monospaced editors for DOS are really easy to use, you don’t need to bother with font sizes, tabs, etc, and they are usually very clear and easy to read. Ideal if you want to focus just on writing without distractions.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Nice find, trumad!

I was going to add that George R R Martin uses WordStar… but the article beat me to it!

Psy,I have to agree with you that it’s relaxing. I use my various pieces of ancient hardware from time to time to do a bit of casual writing and I generally prefer it to my modern system. I would also add that there’s no facebook or other modern things tempting me. I like that old systems generally just do one thing at a time and you can dedicate the whole of your focus on that.

The only downside to my particularly purist way is that old systems are prone to dying. And if I don’t want to lose my work, it can be a major hassle to backup onto newer hardware.

firefyte
    Participant
    Podcaster

Dang, that’s really neat!

Also, we had WordStar on our CP/M, parents used it for translation work.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums DOS Talk The Dune Screenplay was written in MS-DOS