The Games: Winter Challenge (1991, Ballistic / Accolade)

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games The Games: Winter Challenge (1991, Ballistic / Accolade)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

This game feels like a big step up from the previous collections of mini-games I’ve been trying in recent days. It’s got VGA graphics, SoundBlaster sound and it plays pretty well. It also contains *a lot* of mini-games!

I’ll have to play more of this (anyone has any idea how to land from the ski jump without falling???) but already I’m having quite a lot of fun with this entry. The downhill skiing looks really impressive!

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Ok, got an update on the ski jump: in order to not fall, you have to press (and hold?) the enter key when you come down to land.

Makes sense right???

Tijn
    Keymaster
    Podcaster

Got the help from the manual, kindly provided by Travis Beamon through Twitter: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8snaz44b8v86tv/The%20Games%20-%20Winter%20Challenge%20%281991%29.pdf?dl=0

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

This is definitely my favourite of the tournament-style multi event “serious” simulations. I played it a bit when I was a kid too.
    The controls feel fairly realistic and intuitive. Some of the events are a bit difficult, but never feel unfair. I even managed to earn a few golds on my first tournament.
    There’s a lot of versatility on the tournament mode too. You can assign as many human players as you like, there’s lots of portraits and flags to choose from (but no Australia. Boo!), and a good choice of difficulties.

TigerQuoll
    Participant
    Podcaster

Edit: whoops, posted in the wrong thread! See my reply in Lillehammer

rappscal
    Participant

I still come back and play this game often. We had it on our family computer when I was a kid. Ski jump, Slalom and downhill are the standouts. I could never get the hang of the speed skating. Always came off the track on the corners. BTW this one supports MT-32. Soundtrack doesn’t sound too bad on it either. Would have been PC-Speaker when I first played it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Previous Months 51 – December 2020: Skiing Games The Games: Winter Challenge (1991, Ballistic / Accolade)