The KDRNICIAN experience

Home Forums Current Game: UFO: Enemy Unknown The KDRNICIAN experience

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  don_amar 4 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

I am playing with OpenXCOM and on the easiest difficulty, since it is already very hard.

XCOM on DOSBox had the mentioned issue of not having tooltips but also it doesn’t allow scrolling with the kb and is very cycles-sensitive.

I started with a base in the US per the strat guides.

Per voxel’s suggestion I named me soldiers after the DGC folks.

In a battle, rnlf fell prey to the aliens.

Also Tijn and vede were wounded, but this only spared them from the next slaughter.

I added a base to central Europe and then to South America.
    Soon aliens terrorised Moscow. I sent in a team.

Through these fields of destruction
    Baptisms of fire
    I’ve witnessed your suffering
    As the battle raged higher
    And though they did hurt me so bad
    In the fear and alarm
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

When aliens next terrorised Moscow, I left them be. Let Putin deal with it.

I can now build laser rifles, which I soon will be selling for a quick cash.

Now I have accidentally started a night mission, wish the DGC team good luck.

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

A new UFO downed, team sent to crash site…

voxel II fell prey to sorceress’ friendly fire!

Also rnlf III died, to no one’s surprise

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

In a fresh new battle, it all seemed lost as toasty was an early loss to a quick-drawing alien bastard…

Tijn however, scouting tile by tile sacrificed himself to save the day.

One floater that proved resistant to bullets had to be dealt two rockets from bitrot – earning him a promotion.

They seemed to try and avenge the fallen comrade though, as two rocket blasts stunned both vede and sorceress in succession. dollarone quickly ran to their aid, medkit in hand, but it was unnecessary since the last alien was killed as he was nearing sorceress’ unconscious body.

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

vede showing the importance of using smoke grenades

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

Just like in the gif, but for different reasons, vede bit the dust…

But otherwise the mission was very successful.

This female soldier which I was unable to name due to our lack of female presence, and who I sent in to the heat of battle without a weapon, also perished.

In the midst of it Tijn had to apply a large dose of stimulants to revive rnlf. I am considering renaming Tijn kdrnic for this feat.

Evil Taco
    Evil Taco
    Participant

One of the reasons that I think this game is so good is that you can have played this game for quite a bit and still learn new things. Like that the smoke grenades are actually useful. Well.. it should be obvious really, but somehow I suppose I’ve just assumed they’re just there for show. I haven’t read strategy guides – I guess they’d spoil this effect.

Smoke also slowly stuns. I wonder how viable it would actually be to throw a smoke grenade or three into a UFO and just wait. I have had it happen a couple of times that I win a fight when the final alien passes out in smoke, but I’ve never tried that deliberately.

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

I just had my first mission without casualties – although “female III” was stunned.

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

RIP Tijn II

died spotting aliens exiting the UFO who were promptly gunned down

Canageek
    Canageek
    Participant

Oh, can I have someone named after me? I’ve been listening to the podcast for ages, since near the start, but this is the first game I love enough to join the forums for.

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

Sure, if you are keen to be the next Lost In Service B-)

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

I began ARMORing (sic) my soldiers – and also keeping some veterans in the base, while sending rookies to serve as scouts in the missions.

I have also researched alien grenades – In the last mission, where Canageek and I scouted, one was very useful in clearing a path to the UFO, allowing the enemy to be promptly sniped.

For my next post, I think I will capture the screen with some tool, to make cool GIFs.

Canageek
    Canageek
    Participant

Windows has a built in screenshot tool you could use quite easily for this purpose. https://www.howtogeek.com/226280/how-to-take-screenshots-in-windows-10/

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

I meant record a video of the screen, to be specific.

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

Here is the most recent battle.

I recorded with OBS, but then it was a pain to crop and try and edit the video, and also I wouldn’t be able to embed it anyway, so in the end I picked a couple frames and made it into a “slideshow” GIF.

The highlight of the clip is when I perish in battle.

The Personal Armour was of not much use in the end I think?

kdrnic
    kdrnic
    Participant

I just attempted a mission where the aliens could use psionic attacks – very unbalanced, they could attack every member of the team even without any visible…

According to the wiki:
    “It should be noted that once you pass Turn 20, or if there are only 1 or 2 aliens left on the map, all of your squad members and their locations are revealed to the AI. This means you can expect a steady stream of psionic attacks after that turn if there any of the remaining aliens are capable of Psionic attack.”

Apparently the only defence is just getting rid of the sucessfuly attacked soldiers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Current Game: UFO: Enemy Unknown The KDRNICIAN experience